iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First fire

Started by cutterboy, September 23, 2023, 06:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

I lit up the kitchen stove for the first time this morning. The first fire of this heating season. The temp outside is 50* with a cool and damp East wind. They say cool and rainy for the next two days. The inside temp was down to 64* with little chance of recovering during the day. The house now is nice and warm and my wife is happy which makes for a pleasant day.

Stay warm.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

upnut

Outstanding! My mind immediately goes to a big pot of chili simmering while a batch of homemade bread bakes in the oven....MMM!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

thecfarm

I don't have a glenwood.

But do have a homeclarion.
My Grandmother had one just like it.
Heats been on here for a couple weeks.
But I use the OWB now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Cutterboy,
Nice looking stove,very well taken care of.
We have a Stanley Waterford that has had a fire in it most mornings this week.
I never realized there was a degree symbol for the longest time.
One day I took a closer look above where you type a post and son-of-a-gun there it was to the  left of the fractions.
Be well.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

SwampDonkey

I've had a couple morning smudges this week. Got down to 68F down stairs on the main floor, 71 upstairs, made the electric kick in. ;D Lots warm today, a fire would be too hot in here at the moment. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cutterboy

47sawdust, I did not know that degree symbol ° was there. Thanks for the information. I will use it from now on.

cutterboy

upnut, no chili but there is a pot of beef stew simmering for supper tonight. ;D

Firewoodjoe

I had my first fire this weekend. Built it twice now. It just gets so hot so quick I let it go out this time of year. I'm going to try something different this year. Small hot fires. Keep the coals down and add wood more often. I don't know how I'll do night fires yet. Maybe try a larger piece on less coals. See if it keeps burning. I know I love siting next to it.

B.C.C. Lapp

Lit the stove for the first time this season today.  Was cold and windy all morning and when we came in wet and cold from chores Mrs Lapp checked the house temp and then asked me to fire the stove.  And so begins a long slow burning season.    I like that. All seasons are good.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

barbender

I lit off the OWB yesterday. I was happy to get it fired up, I like to feed it as much debris from out firewood operation as I can before things get covered with snow.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Built one yesterday here for the dampness. Then it soon became 82F and coals in the stove most of the day. And those are just aspen coals. I can never burn wood here all day even in deep winter days, way too hot. Maybe if it was 30 below and wind, that changes the dynamics a bit. Rarely see them now, but we did have a couple last Feb, whereas January was mild. :D

Won't need any fire today, and it's only going to be 50's. But it's just not cold in here.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jeeper9574

We had our first fire if the season last night. We got a new Hearthstone wood stove the end of last year and had a few fires in it but looking forward to putting it through its paces this winter. Nothing like the flames dancing in a wood stove on a cold night... 8)

21incher

Our first fire today. Really damp and chilly out. Just a little old Jotul. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Walnut Beast

Great looking stoves guys!! 

cutterboy

Firewoodjoe

I've had one every night and morning this week. Stove works so nice. Starts easy and gets warm fast.

SwampDonkey

Morning fires, only, here. Stays warm until the next fire. I've got a furnace and duct to two floors. I keep the bedroom window open 24 hrs until it actually freezes the ground. Even then, I've opened windows on sunny days. The sun easily heats upstairs to 90F in winter. Big dormer window is like a stove in sunshine. :D

Wlmedley

First fire here this evening.High in the low 50's for the next couple days and my wife is always complaining about being cold so I lit the old girl up.I know by about March I'll probably be tired of fooling with it but that's the way it is and always will be.The good thing is after insulating pipe last year I won't have to clean it out halfway through burning season.That's going to be nice.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

cutterboy

There is nothing like a warm fire to keep your wife happy.  ;)

g_man

Third day in a row of rain here. Not real cold but a little fire in the basement to warm the floors a little feels really good.

gg

Old Greenhorn

No first fire in the house yet. I can't even get near the stove, the wife's craft show inventory is packed up all around it. I have yet to sweep the chimney and clean the stove. I would like to get the cleaning done so it's ready to go, but I am not in a hurry to start burning. There were one or two very damp nights that I was tempted to do a smudge fire.

Now in the shop, I am doing daily first fires. ;D The shop is only heated with wood and is cement block. So I do morning fires and keep them going into the late afternoon then let it burn out. Keeps the shop drier and makes a more comfy working temp. Fire went out around 6pm last evening and it is still 61 out there now. The outdoor temp was 48 this morning. Just burning junk wood but I am running it down which is good and bad. I am trying to conserve on wood because I may come up short in the spring. The shop stove was all cleaned and checked last week, so it's good for the season. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Well last night I kind of decided this afternoon would probably be the right time to start the house stove and I spent well over an hour trying to find on the forum when I had my first fire last year. Finally found it. It was 11/19/22, so today, being that same date, was a bit interesting. I had the stove cleaned and ready to go weeks ago. Been burning the shop stove about a month now, getting rid of junk and I have more junk to split and burn up. Just want to get rid of it.
 It's 74° at my desk now and I am enjoying that. Without wood, we keep the house cool to save oil and I am tired of that about now. Had to throw another blanket on the bed at 3am this morning, so today is the day. They are calling form daytime highs in the 40's for the coming week, and that's good enough for me.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I fixed a couple of cracks in the internal air channels and put on some fresh sparkle black paint yesterday.  had a fire today with the doors open to burn off the smell from the stove.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

This week is 20's and 30's for highs up this way. Been burning wood for a month and a half now. But no all day fires. Would have to get a lot colder for a fire all day. Got a window open right now, you sure won't need long sleeves in the house nor wool blankets. Aspen and fir heat.  :) I've got 2 years worth of firewood. If I want to get stingy I could get 3 years, but I've got lots of ground to thin. It won't get thinned unless I cut and burn it. :D

Magicman

First Fire this morning, November 28th, over two months since Cutter built his first fire.  It was actually colder (36°) yesterday morning but we had to go to New Orleans so I waited until this morning @ 37°.  My "nest" is in the Sun-Room that has 7 full windows plus a glass door so there is heat loss.  I have a vent from the fireplace insert piped directly into here so I get my full measure of the wood heat.  The gas central heat is OK but it surely feels good to be toasty.   fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wlmedley

I got my reward for burning wood in the mail today.My house is all electric with two electric furnaces (one upstairs and one downstairs).Both are grid furnaces,no heat pumps.Electric bill was $125.Don't know what bill would have been without wood stove as I have always had it but I'm pretty sure it would have been $300 or more.Maybe not a big payday versus work involved but I stay warm and a penny saved is a penny earned  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

SwampDonkey

Have burnt two pallets of wood stacked about 7 feet. But been a few weeks to. ;D  I have an electric furnace back up, use it some overnight, never a high bill. 80 degree wood heat is too hot for sleeping. ;) Just built up a wood fire here, last time I added wood was 8:30 this morning. And then it was one big slab of aspen and a round stick of fir, laid in on a bed of coals. ;D

cutterboy

Quote from: Magicman on November 28, 2023, 09:47:12 AM
First Fire this morning, November 28th, over two months since Cutter built his first fire.  
And your last fire will probably be two months before my last fire.
22° here now with predicted highs of 35° and winds 10-12mph. Both wood stoves are burning nicely.

Magicman

Yup, probably so.  ;D

32° here this morning and yes, another flicker.  fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

NE Woodburner

I've burned almost a full cord so far this season. The wood I'm burning now is not the best species and is several years old so very dry. Clean burning and good heat but not long burning. I will be into mostly red oak and ash soon. 

Magicman

We have been a week without a fire, but I have the insert loaded with a few sticks and have the fat lightered kindling ready for in the morning.  The forecast is for 32°.  :o.  Looks like we will have a fire for about the next 10 days or so.   fire_smiley

SwampDonkey

Have had fire here, but only early morning and evening 'smudges', too hot during the day. ;D

Been steady at 36F outside temps now for 2 days and nights. Will be in the 40's today, suppose to be more sun.

Magicman

I have my little flicker going this morning.  Feels good.   ;D

doc henderson

26° here MM, how bout you? 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Woodcutter_Mo

I've been using the indoor wood stove for a couple months now but officially fired up the outside furnace for the first time this season yesterday.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Magicman

Our forecast says that I will have a flicker for the next 10 days.   fire_smiley

SwampDonkey

I've burnt 3 cords since September. She's a long slow burn in the north. 6 months left to go. Of course a couple months on each end that it's more intermittent burning and a window or two raised. :)

sconn2000

The weather up here in MN hasn't been able to make up it's mind the past couple months. We've finally got some standing snow after flipping between the seasons several times. Outdoor boiler has just been idling since october to keep things from freezing up, but the indoor stoves been doing a great job keeping the place warm on the colder days. Looks like it's finally going to get cold and stay cold so put time to put the outdoor in drive. 8)

Here's a couple random pics from the backyard today :)
Sam

thecfarm

scoon2000, welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ihookem

I have burned wood for heat as late as mid June at home. The earliest I had a fire up at camp was August 18th.. I have never had to heat my home or cabin in July.. 

SwampDonkey

I've seen lots of folks burn morning smudges in July. Not uncommon at all. Not all day. We often get a cold snap almost down to frost. Some places will get frost in July, never seen it here. But when fishing one time and camping on an old mill site near a small river, it was white frost every morning and by afternoon in the 90's in mid July. 

Thank You Sponsors!