iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much wood do you have left?

Started by Wlmedley, January 23, 2024, 06:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

First winter I was in this new house in 2018 I thought I would split some cedar for kindling. I started with 5 rounds and I still have 4. Never cut any since. Like you say dry wood don't need much. I just use a kitchen match here with 2 or 3 leaves of newsprint. A box of matches is about $3 and the newsprint is free, they are the store flyers. Other than that, all you need is free air. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Spike60

March 1st, and 18° this morning. Have all I'll need, but will be into "next year's" side of the woodshed. Being retired from the store means I kept it going much more than in the past. So, naturally, wood consumption is up. Unless I came home for lunch, I'd get home after 5:00 and have to start with paper and kindling and the house in the low 60's which wasn't really that bad. Kindling use is way down.  ffsmiley  I enjoy cutting, so the extra wood usage is fine with me.

But by this time every year, I'm looking forward to the burning season winding down and some nicer weather. Gradual change as I move from constant burning, to occasional or just evening fires. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Spike, how old is your Quadrafire?  I put mine in around 1986.  Does a good job heating the house.  Plenty of wood left over from this season.  Was a warm winter and I consumed less wood than normal.

Spike60

1994 model 3100. Celebrating it's 30th anniversary this year! 🍾
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

First of March and maybe 2 weeks worth or basically two trailer loads .With warmer days I don't load the insert up like in colder weather which does conserve on the wood .This year only once did I let the fire die out ..

SwampDonkey

Been no fire here for most of the day. 48°F currently. 5-1/2 cords of dry stuff left. Long time yet before June.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

The forecast looks like I will build a flicker next Sunday and Monday mornings which is as far out as the forecast reaches.  :wink_2:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

Morning fire in the house, I'll light one again in a minute, none in the shop today, I opened it up to let the warmer air in during the day. The bathroom baboons gave Michelle a cold this week at the elementary but they got greens going. I went and measured and sat and looked and tried to understand a cold building this morning. Hard to get into it when your bones are slowly freezing in a cobweb icebox ffcheesy . I took the loader up the state road and recovered 3 forkfuls of dry locust from my road edge this afternoon and was sweating before it was done. I had removed a fallen ash and opened up the road a week or so ago. DOT never knows and returned the favor by gifting me another tree last week. I love these guys. I'm below the road and they just shove trees over the side where it is pretty much impossible to recover them. I move what I can and have accepted the rest. My smile is fading, I have enough dead ash of my own to deal with.

Wlmedley

Got my reward in the mail today. Electric bill of $140. My bill has a chart showing electric usage over the past year. This is the lowest bill I've gotten. I know February is a short month but it is still less usage than last February. Don't know what bill would be just using furnaces and not in any hurry to find out.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

SwampDonkey

My Dec bill for electric was $130.00, January was $146. I've since started the grow tent in February so the bill will climb a little, but the bill has been less than last year for the last 4 months. Started the grow tent earlier last winter. 

Al_Smith

Danged electric bill is higher than I figured .However the rates have risen to 125 cents a KWH plus some other charges they managed to sneak in .Around $300 a month this winter .2 refridgerators,hot water heater ,aerobic sewer system etc .It all adds up .
The propane however is between 300 and 400 gallons per year.Add to that the radiant electric plus the baseboard heaters are still on the line but set a 65 degrees that do kick on every so often .I'm just glad I don't live in the Mich. UP or North Dakota were it gets cold enough to make the brass monkey miserable. 

chet

So far this year us Yoopers have already had 2 months of spring, and spring usually don't start for 2 more months.  ffcheesy
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

woodroe

Probably 10 -12 cords left.
Getting retired helped keep a couple years ahead of it.
That and some intense woodlot management. splitwood_smiley
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Al_Smith

I've got the last half of a cord on the trailer and tarped down .The fire is out unless we get a cold snap . If so I have  a lot of downed trees and around 40 chainsaws and two splitters .

Al_Smith

I got a break in the action for a while but it came to an end yesterday afternoon ..The power went off caused by a  number 6 solid copper wire going from one phase of 12,470 volt three phase  ( 7200 volts ) to the fuse link on the pole .Probabley been there for 40 plus years blown to and fro by the wind .Just failed from fatigue .The power any more is metered on the house by a newer style meter that sends a signal to the electric company in the event of a failure .Plus they get the usage for billing from the meter .
I took matters in hand and relit the fire because it got down to 18 degrees last night .About the time I got it nice and toastly down the driveway came a red truck from the power company .Supposed to be a cold snap for a while so I'll keep it going a little bit longer . 

SwampDonkey

I've still got 4-1/2 cord of dry seasoned wood. It's still a long ways from June.  First day of spring is first day of winter in 2024, just as cold as February and the wind to make it more convincing. ffcheesy ffcheesy ffwave 

Thank You Sponsors!