iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Met another Pacific Northwest member

Started by Stephen_Wiley, September 07, 2004, 12:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen_Wiley

Sorry guys know pics until I get the new computer up and running.

Met "Gilman"  a.k.a. Dave and his yard supervisor "Kathy"on Sunday out working on some downed Maple and Walnut burl logs.

Wanted to return for another visit today but ran out of time to do so.

It appears he is well under way to being drawn and quartered as a bono fide 'Orange man'.

Kathy has family in this area - so chances are good that I may meet some of them in my travels.

Looking forward to getting together again.

BTW, Dave thanks for the smoked steelhead - the wife and son in law enjoyed it. (nearly had to break up a fight between them.)  :D

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

BW_Williams

Smoked steelhead is definatly worth fightin' over  :D
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Frank_Pender

Gilman, that is beginning to sound like a tradition, handing out Smoked Salmon.  I will be down river real soon. 8)
Frank Pender

Curlywoods

Walnut burl!  Is any of this stuff for sale  ???
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Gilman

Stephen, nice meeting you this weekend. And you're welcome regarding the fish.  I had a disaster with a batch I smoked last night but that story is in a different thread. No more fish for anyone if I'm going to smoke fish when I'm tired and trying out hair brained ideas.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1094164659;start=0

Curly,
I wish I had walnut burl, just lots of maple.  :(  If I find some, you want me to give you a call?

Frank and BWW, I look forward to meeting you both too.  I also want to see your sawmill setups.

Here's me talking to Stephen, I couldn't believe the odds that I had the mill shut off changing a blade when he called.  The phone was in the truck when I heard a faint ring. Don't move! Terrible cel reception out here. The truck is full of maple burl.  That was a bouncy trip back to WA.  :D

Here's Stephen and I, I'm wearing the urban sombrero. On the mill is some black walnut.

Here's Kathy and Stephen

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Curlywoods

Gilman,

I was just thru Camas a couple of weeks ago during my trip thru Washington/Oregon buying wood.  I found a pretty fair amount of nice quilted Maple, some really clean Pacific Yew, a little fiddleback Walnut lumber and some curly Myrtle, but no real high quality burl of any kind.
  I have customers about to string me up for not getting them BURL!  I use all varieties of burl.  We have some of it slabbed into 2" and 3" thick pieces and kiln dry these and then we buy burl that has been slabbed into thicker slabs from 3" to 10" thick for wood turning customers.  Once we get the thicker slabs in house we clean and cut these into appropriate sizes based upon the look of each slab.  Wood turners like things just so-so and we have learned a lot over the past three years on what to do and what not to do to make any burl more useful to these folks.
  The burls that we have dried are typically smaller rounds with the yes of the burls facing out onto the face of the burl for maximum effect.  We prefer that these burls have full bark edges all the way around too.  We often also but these slabs in 1"-1 1/2" thickness for wall hangings and ornamental clock or other uses.  It is not ever burl that will produce pretty wood though, just like not ever tree has great looking wood in it :-)
  We are always looking for new suppliers that can supply us with high quality burl either dry or green.  Feel free to call me anytime that you might have something of interest.  I buy all sizes, but prefer that the burls be at least basketball size and larger.
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Thank You Sponsors!