iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found my grandfathers mill!

Started by Wallee, December 28, 2016, 12:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

As some of you on FF know from reading and watching my exploits over on my Wallee's Milling Thread, my life long love of sawdust started early. It began from the time I could remember actually. By the time I was big enough to catch small slabs and flitchs from the edger I was working at my grandfathers circle mill! His mill was mostly custom (built by him, as needed for upgrading and such through the years). i by the age of twelve was setting blocks and riding/running the carriage for my grandfather. My grandfather unfortunately around the time I was about 14 decided to sell his mill he had owned in some configuration or another for over 50 years due to his declining health and being on kidney dialysis. Well withing 2 months I would say of selling the mill I grew up at, the sawdust bug was to great and he started from scrap and began to build a new mill. We worked on the mill over several months and we were about 1 week from out first run of the mill when my grandfather had to go in for knee sugery. Unfortunately my grandfather never made it out of the hospital due to a unexpected blood clot. So as the story goes, my father decides to sell his last mill he built to help our grandmother with expenses. Years go by, the bug bites me and I buy a band mill. Built a business. Started to grow. I began looking and scouring for a small circle mill to help grow my business and help me produce a little more in a days time. And thats when it happened! While scouring facebook groups of sawmill related posts I happened upon a very familiar looking ud14 International power plant and a very familiar carriage frame. I called the owner who was looking to sell and asked if he could tell me about the mill and he responds that he got it from a neighbor who had bought the mill from the town that i lived in. I then traced the mills ownership back to my grandfather! What a find! Long story short on my end.... I bought it and started putting it back down where it belonged under the shed that was built to house it! I have a long road ahead of me but I have a friend of my grandfathers who is helping me align and put the mill down. 2 days into this and I have the husk set and  first piece of track laid and leveled. I will post some pics to share my progress along the way!

Started by removing the lt28 from the sawmill shed.

Then we excavated the dust pit my grandfather had made 20+ years ago. Its 20' thick walls and around 7' deep at its deepest point. I use to have to climb down in it as a kid and grease the bearings on the dust chain wheel. We had it filled in to run the bandmill under the shed.

Attached some timbers to the concrete to secure the husk to it. used a transit to level only to find out that the concrete was perfect lol. Couldn't get any better right?

Just before we set the husk in place.

Husk set in its general location

All these pics were from day one. I have more pics to come I just need to take some in the morning of our day 2! I would say we are well off to a decent start!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Beavertooth

Glad for you. hope it all goes well and helps you to relive some great memories of your grandfather.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

thecfarm

What a find,good story. Them logs are waiting for ya!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishfighter

Outstanding find. Real happy for you.  Do keep us updated. ;D

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

stanwelch

Good on ya Wallee. You make your grandfather proud  8)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ddcuning

So awesome that you were able to find his mill and better yet that you are going to set it back up and get to saw on it!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Magicman

This will be an interesting story to follow.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

What luck.
congrats.
Looking forward to more pics
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Wallee,

Congratulations. Great find. Glad the old girl is home again. I can guess what your New Year's Resolutions will be this year. Keep those pictures coming.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gww

wallee
You are definatly a go getter and one with passion for what you are doing.  You are putting action behind your ideals and I don't see how you could not be successful if you keep persuing your passion and improving as you go.  Just because you don't just sit on your butt but actually do things makes you someone I could look up too or be very proud of or however you want to phrase admiration.
Life is kinda short and it is nice to see someone living it with passion.
Cheers
gww

Al_Smith

Good story .I can relate to the sawdust in the blood line .My maternal grand father had a small hardwood mill when I was a boy .On my fathers side they were all machinests ,tool and die makers tracing back to metal workers in the middle ages from England.I broke the mold on that but I still have both sawdust and metal chips in my DNA .

GDinMaine

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

George Zarifis

Great story! I'm looking forward to the first slab!
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

Wallee

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 28, 2016, 11:34:41 AM
Good story .I can relate to the sawdust in the blood line .My maternal grand father had a small hardwood mill when I was a boy .On my fathers side they were all machinests ,tool and die makers tracing back to metal workers in the middle ages from England.I broke the mold on that but I still have both sawdust and metal chips in my DNA .
I appreciate all the kind comments and encouragement the forum provides!
I honestly eat,sleep, and think about sawmills 24-7 lol!

Today I got all the track laid and leveled. Still have to align the track to husk but I need to start the carriage build in the morning!

I even got the carriage drive some what aligned and meshed!

Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

nativewolf

Great great story.  I had an idea, free one so you know what it's worth.  I would get a portable small conveyor down under that pit pulling the dust/chips out or maybe a little chain.  Not sure if the pit is wide enough but chip waste removal in a saw mill is one thing that has gotten a bit more intelligent (and cheap) and you can pickup conveyors for not very much nowadays. Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of the story we are seeing.

Again, great story and great progress.  You are rocking and rolling speed wise.
Liking Walnut

Lumber Grader

Wow!  What an incredible story your are kind enough to share with us! I have no doubt that every board will be sawed with great love and with your grandfather in mind.  Your family must be very proud of you and everyone at the Forestry Forum wishes you the very best with your new mill.  They say "It is only work, if you would rather be doing something else" and it sounds like this is your love and passion.  I have no doubt your grandfather would be so very happy and proud for you.  Please give us more pictures and if possible a video of you sawing. God Bless.  Thanks again for sharing such an incredible story and a very personal story. Dreams really do come true and thanks again for sharing your dream with all your friends at Forestry Forum. 

Wallee

Quote from: nativewolf on December 28, 2016, 06:54:42 PM
Great great story.  I had an idea, free one so you know what it's worth.  I would get a portable small conveyor down under that pit pulling the dust/chips out or maybe a little chain.  Not sure if the pit is wide enough but chip waste removal in a saw mill is one thing that has gotten a bit more intelligent (and cheap) and you can pickup conveyors for not very much nowadays. Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of the story we are seeing.

Again, great story and great progress.  You are rocking and rolling speed wise.
There will be a dust removal chain run off the mandrel! I will be getting some new chain here pretty soon because the old chain hasn't been cared for and is in shambles.
Also I ordered my forward and reverse friction feedbelts from allbright saw co (aka Frick) today. They should be in by Monday! Also I am going to look at a new power unit tomorrow as my old ud14 international just doesn't have any parts support. Going to be looking at a rebuilt fresh 6-71 Detroit!

sawguy21

Keep those pictures coming, this is a great story. ;D You think that screamin' Jimmy will be enough? Wow.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pwrwagontom

Very cool!  Love the story.
I bet you will learn a lot about the mill reconstructing it in its original location.

Glad to see you finding a way to connect with your grandfather.

Will be following, keep posting pictures!
Never give an inch

Czech_Made

ReinkeFandS

Really cool story, thank you for sharing with everyone here!
Cooks MP HD3238
Stihl MS 461, MS 261, Homelite SXL
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

Thank You Sponsors!