iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms 290 problem

Started by Georgia088, February 21, 2016, 10:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia088

hello all and thanks in advance for any help.
I have a ms 290 stihl chainsaw. It worked fine up until about a month ago. It sat for a couple of months and about a week ago I went out and tried to crank it. No luck.

After doing some checking I realized I wasn't getting any fire from the spark plug. Changed plug. No help. I ordered a coil, installed it; fired right up no problem. Used it for about 15 min worked great.

Got it back out today.  Fired right up. I ran it for about 15 min and it suddenly cut off. I haven't been able to crank it since. I checked the coil/plug and I'm getting fire. The plug is always wet when I pull it out so I assume it's getting gas. I even sprayed a little starting fluid in carb. Doesn't even try to crank.

Bottom line: I'm getting fire at the plug and getting fuel but it's not cranking. Ran great until it abruptly stopped.

Any ideas

Thanks!

Ps. I put new mixed fuel in it. Still no luck.

sawguy21

What happens if you pick it up by the rope handle and let it hang? Does it hold or at least drop slowly? If it drops like a rock you have your answer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

deerslayer

Where in Georgia? I'm south of Griffin. (Pike County)

Pull the muffler off (3 Torx 27 screws) and look at the piston through the exhaust port. Go from there.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

ladylake

If the piston looks good try changing the plug again, if you flooded it hold the throttle wide open when cranking .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

joe_indi

Quote from: deerslayer on February 21, 2016, 11:37:32 PM
Pull the muffler off (3 Torx 27 screws) and look at the piston through the exhaust port. Go from there.
I think they are M5 nuts

Georgia088

Thanks for the info. I will do these things in a few and see what I can tell. I'm not far from you Deere slayer: Upson.

So if the compression is bad or piston etc., has anyone used one of the aftermarket rebuilds kits or complete rebuilt block with cam in?
If so, how are they?

Thanks!

Georgia088

Well an update: I took muffler off and looked at piston... Looked good. Turned it over one time and it fired up. Put muffler back on and it cranked... Maybe it was flooded.  I feel pretty stupid.  I let it sit yesterday for a while and tried cranking with no choke and throttle wide open like you are supposed to when it's flooded but didn't get anything yesterday.  But, hopefully that's all it was.

Still curious though, anyone used the aftermarket rebuild kits or whole blocks with crank in?

Thanks!

deerslayer

Duh, yeah the mufflers use an 8mm socket to get off. I've worked on this model saw more than any other ever but lately I've been doing some stuff with 044, 046, MS460 and MS660 and they all use Torx screws so I got confuseded.

If you live in Upson County, come visit. I'm about 5 minutes outside of Zebulon so you can't be very far away. Glad you got it running. I stock a lot of parts for this model. If you want to ring me I'm at 7705849020. We can have a 2 person GTG.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

ZeroJunk

I have rebuilt three 029's or MS290's in the last year or so using the Chinese MS390 engine for $78 shipped.

They run great, for how long I have no idea.

Georgia088

Zero-
Did you use the ones with the crank in, or did you buy the rebuild kit and use your crank?

Georgia088

Deere-
You don't happen to be from Minnesota or somewhere up north and moved down here did you? I actually bought this saw from someone that lives right outside Zebulon about 1-1/2 - 2 years ago.

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Georgia088 on February 22, 2016, 09:44:49 PM
Zero-
Did you use the ones with the crank in, or did you buy the rebuild kit and use your crank?

I used their complete engine.

deerslayer

Quote from: Georgia088 on February 22, 2016, 09:48:21 PM
Deere-
You don't happen to be from Minnesota or somewhere up north and moved down here did you? I actually bought this saw from someone that lives right outside Zebulon about 1-1/2 - 2 years ago.
I'm originally from Michigan so it may have been me. Sorry, the warranty has expired, lol. What's the serial number of the saw? I may have a record of it... I live between Concord and Zebulon.

Georgia088

Quote from: deerslayer on February 23, 2016, 06:44:43 PM
Deere-
I'm originally from Michigan so it may have been me. Sorry, the warranty has expired, lol. What's the serial number of the saw? I may have a record of it... I live between Concord and Zebulon.
I'm not sure of the serial, I would have to look. But apparently it was just my stupidity the reason it wouldn't crank. The coil did go out. I replaced it and I don't think I had it adjusted properly causing it not to fire like it was supposed to and it flooded. Had a hard time getting it cranked after that, but seems to be fine now. Do you heat your shop with two 55 gallon drums welded together? (I still want to build me one like that after seeing yours) If so, you're the man. How wierd is that? Small world huh?
Thanks!

VKJohnson

I just got done putting a new engine from Bailey's in mine...$160...big bore to MS390 size.  I had gotten a Stens P/C kit, standard bore, was having all sorts of fun getting the piston into the cylinder, then I just bit the bullet and bought the complete engine.  Had I to do it all over again, I would have just got the big bore Farmtec or other aftermarket kit, new seals, and gone thataway, or I might have not even bothered and bought the complete engine period. 

Can't tell ya how the new engine is gonna work...took me about thirty pulls to get it running the first time, plus I had to pull the plug and dry it out...then it fired up.  Got a quick tune on it before life got in the way, and I had to put it down.

Fired it up again a few days later to play with it, and...life got in the way and I had to put it down.

Sheesh.

deerslayer

Quote from: Georgia088 on February 26, 2016, 06:51:40 AM
Quote from: deerslayer on February 23, 2016, 06:44:43 PM
Deere-
I'm not sure of the serial, I would have to look. But apparently it was just my stupidity the reason it wouldn't crank. The coil did go out. I replaced it and I don't think I had it adjusted properly causing it not to fire like it was supposed to and it flooded. Had a hard time getting it cranked after that, but seems to be fine now. Do you heat your shop with two 55 gallon drums welded together? (I still want to build me one like that after seeing yours) If so, you're the man. How wierd is that? Small world huh?
Thanks!
Yep, heat the shop with a double barrel stove. I've never seen a bad coil on that series of saw. I realize that some may go bad from time to time but I've never encountered it. So is the saw running ok now or is it still ill?

Georgia088

I used t briefly yesterday. Seems to be doing fine.
Thanks!

deerslayer

If you send me the serial number I'll look it up on my spreadsheet to figure out what saw it is. You say it's an MS290? ie, it wasn't upgraded to a 390? If so, that narrows it down as I haven't sold that may MS290s that weren't rebuilt as a bigger saw. The serial number is engraved on the engine housing plastic next to the muffler.

Thank You Sponsors!