iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forklift safety check

Started by ElectricAl, September 13, 2003, 05:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricAl

This is for everyone running hard surface and all terrain fork lifts.

Warning

Check your inner mast rails for cracks at or near the wheels.

Thursday morning I was loading a semi with Red Oak lumber. As I approched the trailer, raising a double bunk of 10'ers, we heard a loud metal crack noise. I stopped as the driver scampered away. When the load did not fall, I proceeded to place the lumber on the trailer. I backed out a raised the mast a little higher than when we heard the noise.

I had broken the middle mast rail of our 3 stage mast :o

Now that's scary :-[

Called the Toyota dealer and told them what had happened.
"Oh yeah. seen it before,  you carry long lengths of lumber and drive fast around corners, don't you?"

DanG this guy's got me pegged. ???

Apparently, logs and long lumber twist the mast causing the break >:(

So, now I have to stop driving my Toyota Fork Lift like my Toyota pickup :'(       Linda will be happy about that!

We have a certified welder coming out to see if it can be salvaged.
Also, the Toyota dealer was going to check a couple of parts trucks for a inner rail assembly.
Regardless, the piece will have to come out. The problem is you need a forklift to lift it out the top :-/

But we have a backup.

The old FORDster :D Our first lift truck :D :D :D

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

You mean the one you were going to sell awhile back? :D

ElectricAl

Yeah, Tom

We have not used the FORDster in more than a year. I took it to our other farm so it could be inside last fall.

Looks like Mr FORDster is coming home soon.

Seems kinda silly keeping a machine around that never gets used, until you need it ;D

It's been a debate for 4 years.......sell it, keep it, sell it, keep it ::)

It's only worth 3 grand, so do you keep it for an hours worth of work ever other year?

It is a dependable machine, hate to part with it :-[

But we have a new John Deere 250 skidloader with forks.
So whats the point of keeping Mr. FORDster.........other than sentimental reasons :'(

DanG Tom, now you got me all worked up :-[

Don't forget the real point of this post, check you masts guys.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

Yeah, those masts need to be checked. :P

So whats the point of keeping Mr. FORDster.........  ?  It works. :D

Besides, there are folks that still have Model T's around the house if you need a precedent.

ElectricAl

The FORDster topic came up last week when a local asked to buy our 6 acre building site where it's parked.

We really don't have a good place to park it other than in the way here at the sawmill. ???

It's more of a storage and visual issue.

Tom

Want some examples of "Yard Art"? :D

ElectricAl

Tom,

There was a great thread a year ago or so about "Yard Art"

Didn't you win BEST of SHOW in the "heavy equipment" class ;D

Tom

Hmmmmm.  I'll have to go check. ''blush" :P :-/

dail_h

Hey Al,
   I got plenty of room here,that I could store that old Fordster with no problem,maybe enough logs to move to keep it limbered up. Grew up with Ford tractors ,so I know most of their moods,
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

ElectricAl

Dail,

I think the FORDster may be headed to SW Michigan this Friday :o

A sawyer over there was unable to locate a nice forklift in his area for quite some time. I had sent him an E-mail before the Toyota broke ??? so now the ball is rolling.

Seems kinda odd selling the back up forklift when the primary unit is still broke. But the buyer has the cashiers check made out. ;D

ElectricAl

We got the Toyota mast welded up Thursday ;D

We did bring Mr. FORDster home as a backup.

But the mighty FORDster did not stay home long.

Our Forestry Forum friend Oakiemac drove 7 hours to haul Mr. FORDster back to Michigan  :'(

By Mr. FORDster

Tom

That's kinda sad :'(

Then, it's kinda like sta'in in the family too. ;D

Is he going to let you come visit sometime? :D

ElectricAl

Tom,

Oakiemac was asking about Grade sawing. So if I showed up to see Mr. FORDster, I'll give Oakiemac a couple pointers ;D

That was a fun little tractor ::)

Tom

Least you have some pictures to hang on the wall. :)

Thank You Sponsors!