iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody selling crib blocks?

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 22, 2017, 08:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Anybody selling crib blocks? What is the going rate in your area?

My next door neighbor asked me if I had any the other day. He was working on his daughter's house and had to jack it up to work on it. I figured maybe others had similar needs so I sawed up a couple of my ash logs into about 2 dozen 6"X 6"X 24" crib blocks.

Right now I am thinking about a dollar a bf but that seems too low for the amount of work involved there. I'm just cutting 6X6 cants then marking 24" length with a carpenter square, cutting a couple inch groove with a circular saw then coming back and finishing with a small chainsaw. Pretty slow and labor intensive and if I did a lot I'd have to come up with a better system.

I got about 10-12 dozen 5' tomato stakes and similar amount of 3' or 2' stickers for use around the mill. I sell them for $10/dz.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

I do them outta hardwood.  $1.50/bf log length, $2/bf cut to length.  Most people just take them log length and they cut themselves. 
Boy, back in my day..

Ohio_Bill

Around here I'm lucky to get .60 per bf for 6 by 6, s.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

4x4American

I have all I can do to keep up with my wholesale accounts demand so if they don't like the price then they can go somewhere else
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Thanks guys. Sounds like I may not be too far off for a starting point. I am not too far from you Bill and we may have similar markets.

4X4 - you may be in a little better economy or earned some good customers. I will see what the market will bear here as we are pretty depressed economically.

I think there is a little manual mill in about every other holler around here and folks think they can get, and people will promise, to cut lumber for $.20-$.25/bf (even though they never get around to cutting it for them). I'm not going to sell for less than my cost to produce. I've cut logs that sat at other mills over a year and attempted to cut nice log piles that had ruined from sitting too long.

I like the log length idea and may offer that as an option although long term storage and handling could become an issue. I can store 2' long stuff in every nook and cranny and can handle them by hand.

Another thing though is I figure crib blocks may be an option for real short stuff. I had a decent little 4' ash log I cut today. Made 4 crib blocks, 2 pretty little live edge 2" benches and everything else became stickers.

Some of my tops and big limbs I used to sell to a wedge mill 1/4 mile away but with the downturn in coal mining that market has been gone long before I got my mill. I used to be able to sell everything over 6" diameter and 12" long for that. Maybe that market will come back. We will see.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

I have sold some and they pay me $1 bdft and up on them cut to length. One place has bought several from me that were 11x11-2' and 12x12-2'. HEAVY.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Thanks Paul. I will see what kind of responses I get from an ad in our local trader. I wonder if a thinner block might sell such as a 3" X 6" X 2'. Would be handy to have when they needed a little less height. I can always offer that when a customer calls.
Howard Green

paul case

The buyers I have for them are trucking companies for their shop, a crane outfit that uses them to set under machines and such, and another company that uprights tipped over train cars. A friend of mine sells a lot of 4x6-48'' to a pipeline co to set pipe on to weld it together before burying it. I use some 3x5-8' on my trailer.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

4x4American

The thing is hardwood down by you is prolly very common wheras up here its alot of softwood and I can name you ten different sawmills within 10 miles of my sawmill, some are manual mills and some are circle mills some are big some are medium and some are small. The thing is they're mostly sawing pine and if they do saw hardwood they are gonna take their sweet time and may not be able to compete with the qty I have.  I don't even try to compete with pine lumber there are two big producers of pine lumber within 5 miles of me and then the amish.  I sold some 12x12's for some sort of dunnage to a local lumber retailer not long ago and they took it off my truck and put it on their customers for probably 20% markup.  We've got alot of industry around here and they eat it up.  I do lose customers for hardwood dunnage they say they can get it in pine for less so I ask why they aint went and got it yet lol another thing is that for good grade hardwood logs there is alot of competition with big mills and canada and china.  There are concentration yards who get so much more apparently by shipping the logs out of the country in containers they wont even talk to me anymore.  I offered to buy their low grade they want $400/mbf picked up.  I can buy cants delivered for less and have less work to get to a finished product.  I dont think this isnmaking much sense anymore I'm off to work got a load of #4 saw logs should be there by 6 from one of the big grade mills
Boy, back in my day..

Ohio_Bill

Hardwood dunnage is my bread and butter. The hardwood log market around here has been flooded for over a year and I can buy low grade logs from the large mills for 200 a thousand. I stopped logging last year because it's cheaper for me to buy them.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

4x4American

Yup I pay anywhere from 65-240/mbf for low grade logs.  I have the log truck from this morn on camera leaving here at 4:45am lol...I know he came from about an hr away too, not sure when he pulled in but dang thats an early day huh
Boy, back in my day..

Bert

oh wow.  $0.40/ bf here on a good day. thats hardwood, cut to length and delivered.

Saw you tomorrow!

killamplanes

Low grade near worthless around here to.  Supply and demand is no where near lined up..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

fishfighter

Quote from: Bert on June 23, 2017, 08:02:35 AM
oh wow.  $0.40/ bf here on a good day. thats hardwood, cut to length and delivered.

So, you are selling at .40 a BF. Is a 12"x12"x12" = to 12 BF? $4.80 per foot? I'm a newbee, just trying to learn something. ;D

4x4American

Quote from: fishfighter on June 23, 2017, 05:37:33 PM
Quote from: Bert on June 23, 2017, 08:02:35 AM

So, you are selling at .40 a BF. Is a 12"x12"x12" = to 12 BF? $4.80 per foot? I'm a newbee, just trying to learn something. ;D

12x12x12 is 144 bf at $.40/bf = $57.60 (plus tax ;D )

so yes $4.80/LF

Boy, back in my day..

fishfighter

I did put that 12x12x12 in inches. :D

longtime lurker

We do them. Prices wont translate so well but I see it this way...

A good board aint worth less because you hacked it into short lengths so the rate per BF/linear foot/whatever should remain the same or increase. So if you ring me an order them you're going to pay as much or more as you would for the whole board.

We do do some cheaper crib blocks but they're random sizes/lengths off the docking saw where boards have dropped out of grade. We stick it on a pallet, wrap it, and you get the whole pallet of the stuff for $350. Mechanics tend to like them.

As an aside, worrying about what someone down the road charges to do a job is pointless. Figure out what it costs you, whack a profit on top and... thats the price. Theres a whole slew of little mills around here too and all of them are cheaper then me but I get more work then the lot of them put together. Cut a good board and deliver on time and don't apologise for your price or your product: It's that good/fast/cheap thing, and people expect to pay for service.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: longtime lurker on June 23, 2017, 07:11:24 PM
As an aside, worrying about what someone down the road charges to do a job is pointless. Figure out what it costs you, whack a profit on top and... thats the price. Theres a whole slew of little mills around here too and all of them are cheaper then me but I get more work then the lot of them put together. Cut a good board and deliver on time and don't apologise for your price or your product: It's that good/fast/cheap thing, and people expect to pay for service.

LL,

Decent point. I was just wondering if there seems to be a market for them and sort of testing the waters as to how people price them. Initially I have priced mine at the same bf rate as I do 8/4 or 4/4 boards of the same species. 4X4's suggestion about selling them in log length was an excellent point and I may try that to cut down on processing time and costs, a savings I can pass a long to interested customers. I don't intend to intentionally lose money because others may be able to produce and sell them cheaper nor do I expect to get rich off them. Any lumber I sell off my property is from thinning excess (Poplar and Spruce) or salvage (Ash, cherry & walnut) that died or fell.

This was also sort of a back door way way to find potential customers in the area. I have posted before (and almost gotten in trouble) about not worrying about how much profit someone else can make off my services or products.

So far what the responses show me is:

1. There is a potential market
2.  Some members sell them for lots less than I can/will produce them for
3.  Some members sell them for a good bit more than I will likely get around here.
4.  Selling in longer lengths may be another option I had not thought about
5.  Bottom line is I have cut a few and have a pricing scheme that works for me and I'll test the local waters.
Howard Green

Bert

The guys with campers will pay pretty good for them. Find yourself one guy in a campground and he will tell his camper buddies. Im no camper but guess you crib them up to take weight off the tires if it will be sitting awhile. Thats my best paying marked for cribs.... otherwise its the price above for actual industry uses.
Saw you tomorrow!

WV Sawmiller

Bert,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a load to take to a flea market tomorrow and will pass a couple of campgrounds along the way and may stop and show them one and see if they need any. I could imagine them possibly wanting some wider, thinner stuff like 12X12X3 or such.

We have many campgrounds in the area and I'll be sure to visit them all in the near future.
Howard Green

paul case

I just got a call today from a repeat customer that moves some big equipment. Seems this time it is some oil field equipment and they need 4- 18''x18''-8'. I just happen to have some logs that will make those so I quoted them at $175 each. I wouldnt attempt then without a good loader or forklift.

That is gona be Dakota and Paul's Saturday morning!

PC
pc

4x4American

Dang that's cheap...I'd be at a buck fifty/bf for that.  Them are some big doggone timbers
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

4x4,

I'd say that was very reasonable but key notes were it was a repeat customer, long lengths and I did not see species mentioned. I assume it took about a 24" SE log to produce something like that. I also find most customers are pretty tolerant about a little wane of something of that nature, not that Paul would produce or sell such.

I found a local CL ad wanting crib blocks. He wanted oak but I responded and offered ash and he agreed. I offered to cut whatever size he wanted and show him how the mill operated. He came down with his 11 y/o foster child and I had an 8' log about 12" SE ready to demo. We talked and I cut it mostly in 2X8 and he bought the whole log right off the mill as he said he needed the 4/4 side lumber for shims and such and was thrilled at the process and being able to show his son.  It was a fun quick demo and I think he will be back.
Howard Green

4x4American

Different areas too.  Big hardwoods aren't easy to come by around here..plus NY is prolly more expensive in every aspect.  And hey whats wrong with wayne hes a good enough guy just a little rough around the edges thats all
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 07, 2017, 11:03:46 PM
4x4,

I'd say that was very reasonable but key notes were it was a repeat customer, long lengths and I did not see species mentioned. I assume it took about a 24" SE log to produce something like that. I also find most customers are pretty tolerant about a little wane of something of that nature, not that Paul would produce or sell such.

I found a local CL ad wanting crib blocks. I think he will be back.
Indeed it was a several times repeat customer that is generally promp to pick up when I get them cut out. I absolutely will sell a little wane on these as the 18'' tall and tough is the big thing. He told me that a 12'' solid face would work fine and the logs are 20 to 22''  so ther will be some bark. If it had to be shorts or no bark $1 bdft for sure.
Quote from: 4x4American on July 07, 2017, 11:20:13 PM
Different areas too.  Big hardwoods aren't easy to come by around here..plus NY is prolly more expensive in every aspect.  And hey whats wrong with wayne hes a good enough guy just a little rough around the edges thats all
Oak is not hard to come by here and these will be post oak that cost me $.35 bdft doyle. Pine however I cannot seem to find. I have had feelers out looking for a gooseneck load I could pick up somewhere but nothing. I need them to cut out some 1x2 strips for 2 local Baptist disaster relief groups to use for tarp hold down strips on houses with roof damage. I do this at no charge and usually stuff that only costs me shows up fast and long, but I have been looking since February and found nothing. :-\

PC
pc

Thank You Sponsors!