iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 045AV or 045AV super?

Started by MN Cutter, November 09, 2010, 01:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Cutter

Hi All

Been lurking around for a few weeks and have learned alot, thanks for the good info.  So I am hoping someone can give me some insight on a potential purchase.

A friend of mine has a Stihl 045AV - it does not say Super anywhere on it.  Is there a 045AV super or is a 045AV & super the same saw?  If there is a Super what is the difference between the two?

He gave it to me to test run but I have not had time to try it out, he paid $150 for it like 5 years ago and it has been sitting since.  I plan on doing a compression check and basic check up on it before I make him an offer.  I am thinking he would probably take $100 for it.  It comes with a 18" and 24" bar and 3 or 4 chains.

My plan is to put it on a smaller Alaskan mill with ripping chain, but I am skeptical if it has enough power and I am not sure i want to lug that pig around!!

Thanks

Stihl  390,260, 026, 261
Husky 51 & 61
Gehl 5635 Skidsteer
J.D. 620 Gator
04 Ford F350 with Boss V plow

Homemade 30 ton splitter ;)

TessiersFarm

I bought one a few years ago for that very use, I ran the 24" bar on my mill and it cut up to 20" soft wood pretty well, 12" hardwood.  A chainsaw mill is nothing but hard work, I will warn you that, however I enjoy myself and turn out some decent lumber.  I also found I liked it for cutting firewood on the pile, lots of power and the weight did all the work I just had to lift it up for the next cut.  I lost the piston in it this spring and decided not to repair it, too much money for an old saw.  If I could buy one for $100 I would on the spot.  I am replacing it in the next week or so. 
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

HolmenTree

The 045AV is 75cc and the 045 AVSE [Super] is 87cc. There was a newer 045 AVE Super II, that was 17.4 lbs and also 87cc but had a few performance improvements.
You would be better off looking for the newer 056 Magnum which is basically the same saw as the 045 series but has 94cc. I always wanted to own one but got spoiled by the newer 064 and 066.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

MN Cutter

I finally found time last night to look at the saw and get it running.  I dumped the gas and put new in and poured some in the carb and it fired right up and ran great!!  Idles perfectly.

Hopefully this weekend I can put it to the test and see how it cuts, but boy it is heavy compared to my other saws. 

I will be milling mostly Oak and Ash so it might not have enough power to get after some of the bigger logs like Tessiersfarm stated.

Thanks for the info HolmenTree on the specs.
Stihl  390,260, 026, 261
Husky 51 & 61
Gehl 5635 Skidsteer
J.D. 620 Gator
04 Ford F350 with Boss V plow

Homemade 30 ton splitter ;)

Thank You Sponsors!