iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Termite Facts, how many?

Started by Jeff, September 11, 2003, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The termites on Earth outweigh the humans on Earth.

Termites have been around for over 250 million years.

Termites rarely expose themselves to light and can actually die from direct sunlight exposure.

Termites work 24 hours a day, they never sleep and don't even take coffee breaks.

A typically infested home may have three to four subterranean termite colonies around it, with as many as 1 million termites in each colony.

Subterranean termites are found in 49 of the 50 states (everywhere except Alaska).

Subterranean worker termites forage up to 250 feet from the colony in search of wood-based food sources.

Pheromones regulate many activities in the termite colony, allowing worker termites to lead each other to food sources and communicate to the queen whether to produce eggs for workers, soldiers or swarmers.

Although they look similar to ants, termites are more closely related to roaches, with a more sophisticated system of responsibilities. Termites are sometimes called "social cockroaches."

Termite Queens are believed to live 15-25 years and are capable of laying an egg every 15 seconds.

Formosan termites, an aggressive variety of subterranean termite, eat not only dead wood and houses but even attack live trees. In New Orleans, Formosans threaten the city's famous live oaks and termite baits are being used to help control them.

It takes the common variety of subterranean termite colony about 3 years to cause noticeable damage to a home. Formoson colonies are larger and do more damage in less time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annual wood consumption for one termite colony: (Source: UC Berkeley)

-Subterranean Termites: 7 pounds per year

-Drywood Termites: one-tenth of a pound per year

-Formosan Termites: 1,000 pounds a year

A Termite made the 50,000 post on the Forestry Forum!!!  Oh Termite! I need to talk to you. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pappy

A Termite made the 50,000 post on the Forestry Forum!!!  

I feel honored as I've only been here for just a little while.   :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Tom

Well, you'll be here a long while now. :D :D

Steve_M

Jeff,

Congradulations on 50,000---quite an accomplishment. 8)

Thanks for all you do, there are a lot of us out here that owe a lot of what we know(or think we know) to you, this forum, and all the great people out there that share there knowledge.

Thanks Jeff and everyone else.

Steve M
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

biziedizie

50,000 posts and it's very interesting going back in the files to read them all :)

Way to go Jeff 8)

Thanks to everyone that posts here as it all helps us all 8)

Steve

AndyB

Jeff

I second what Steve M had to say.  Being new at sawing I have been amazed at the info available.  All you keep it up and I'll continue my learing process.  Now if I could only get the hang of the language ::) :)

pappy

Didn't know a termite was so impoten't, you know I acquired that name back in the late 70's when I was a log scaler in da big wood, and the choppers would say " where'd all me wood go, that DanG scaler eats wood like a termite, so be the name.  ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

CHARLIE

Well Termite, I have a feeling that you will now me immortalized on this forum.  There are a few of us that can speak of this from experience.  Wonder what Jeff is going to do to you....ahhhhhh....errrrr...I mean with you. ahhhhh....hmmmmmm  for you?  I reckon we'll have to wait and see. :D :D :D :D :D  By the time he's through with you, you'll never want to post the 50,000th post again..... ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

pappy

Tom

Termite,
If you haven't already done it, go to the top of the page and put your cursor on "Forum".  Then click on the drop down "Forum Milestones". :D

pappy

Tom ,
been there  got some kinda i deer or is it no eye deer.

EZ

Thank you, Mr 50,000, and all.
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!