iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar and chain question

Started by livemusic, July 09, 2019, 03:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

Needing a bar/chain for a used Stihl 026 I bought. The sprocket is .325-7. I see these below (copied/pasted) on Amazon and I don't understand something basic. Both of these below are the same except one is .063" gauge and one is .050" gauge. Is that the width of the groove in the bar? What's the difference? Does .050 give narrower kerf? I don't know what I need.

Second question is I see some chains listed as 62-link and some as 67 link but they are both 16" chains. What's the difference for those?

This "VersaCut" bar... unsure if it's a fancier bar or what, not sure what to get. I see a youtube for an Oregon "Speed cut" chain. Described as narrower kerf and 'stays sharp longer.' Hmmm.

Hope someone can help with these questions. It's for firewood gathering, general/trail use.

Oregon 163VXLGD025 .063" Gauge .325" Pitch VersaCut Guide Bar, 16"

Oregon 160VXLGK216 .050" Gauge .325" Pitch 16" VersaCut Guide Bar

~~~
Bill

Caloren

The side of your bar should tell you the information you need. Yes, the gauge is the width of the bar groove, the chain must match this. The  amount of drive links is stated on your bar, as you noticed not all saws use the same number of drive links for the same nominal length of bars. If you don't understand the info on your bar just tell us what your bar has listed on the side of it and someone will explain it.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

livemusic

Quote from: Caloren on July 09, 2019, 03:32:07 PM
The side of your bar should tell you the information you need. Yes, the gauge is the width of the bar groove, the chain must match this. The  amount of drive links is stated on your bar, as you noticed not all saws use the same number of drive links for the same nominal length of bars. If you don't understand the info on your bar just tell us what your bar has listed on the side of it and someone will explain it.
I don't have a bar!

EDIT:  I see a picture of an actual bar on an Ebay ad for a 16" Versacut bar and it says .325-67, so, that is 67 links for that bar. But I see 62-link bars. What is the difference? Speed of cutting or safety or what? I have no idea what to get and I have no idea if Versacut is the cat's meow or what. Sorry for ignorance, there's a lot to chainsaws, lol.
~~~
Bill

Hilltop366

Oregon lookup

A thread from 2013 http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=67806.0;all

I wonder if @HolmenTree is still of the same opinion of the 95VPX since 2013, I believe he knows his stuff and then some.

DelawhereJoe

The first one .325 .063 is for Stihl saws with a 3003 bar mount from the 024 - 661, the second link you have is for select Echo saws and more then likely its not going to fit your saw.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

Most bars for Stihl in .325 generally only run .063 not that you can't get them in .050 but most box stores sell .325 .063 - 67dl 16", 74 dl 18", 81dl 20". So finding them off the shelf in .050 may not be an option unless you can find someone to make you a chain or make one yourself. I converted my 024 from .325 to 3/8p but could only find 1 guy in the state to make a chain for me.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Caloren

I apologize, I thought you just wanted to change to a different size bar. That's what I get for thinking again! :o First thing; what size bar do you want? Looks like you have been looking at 16", so just make sure you pick one in .325, since that is what your sprocket is. Then choose a chain that fits that bar. The easiest way is to go to a Stihl dealer and have them fit you up. You can also find bar and chain combo's at most big box stores, usually Oregon brand. Make sure it is .325 chain, it doesn't matter what gauge it is, just so it matches the bar, and the bar fits your saw. I haven't looked to see if Amazon have these combination sets, if not you have to choose the bar [the one you listed should fit] and then choose the chain. Just looked and Amazon does have the Oregon bar and chain sets, just make sure the bar fits your saw and the chain and bar is .325!
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

sawguy21

You want the 67dl bar, the 62 is a different mount that fits the 023/025 consumer saws. As far as gauge goes it seems to depend on region. .325 .063 gauge is almost non existent here, I worked for an Oregon distributor and we couldn't give the stuff away. As mentioned it needs to match the bar which has the numbers on it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Quote from: Hilltop366 on July 09, 2019, 04:33:29 PM
Oregon lookup

A thread from 2013 http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=67806.0;all

I wonder if @HolmenTree is still of the same opinion of the 95VPX since 2013, I believe he knows his stuff and then some.
Hilltop,
yeah that was 6 years ago when I was exclusively running Husqvarna 338XP, 346XP and 550XP saws for aerial use and for limbing.
In that old post I didn't mention that there is no Stihl 3003 mount bars available in Narrow Kerf for 95VPX chain. I would need to grind out the bar slot on the Husky NK bar to fit the 026.
The NK 95 Oregon chain was a very nice cutting semi chisel chain for what I was using it for but for heavy duty use felling, bucking in the dirt etc.  it's not a good choice.
Stihl 23RSC Oregon 20LP both .050 gauge is the best choice for my MS261CM with a 16" bar.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!