iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle mill question..

Started by zopi, June 01, 2009, 10:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Does anyone know of a circle mill manufactured in Stateville NC? I came across one today in pretty good shape,
but the plate on it was illegible except for statesville...It's not a very big mill...it's set up to run off of a
PTO...it's in pretty goos repair, but does not look to have been used in a couple years...

I'm going to try to find out who owns it and get the story...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bandmiller2

Zopi,sounds like you may have a LT-15 resaw,its all good don't fight the urge.Many many small manuf. of old circle mills can you show us a picture.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chico

Edminston is the only ones I know for sure built mills in statesville A co named Fulghum may have  They were in wadsworth Ga but I think they ha d a shop up in Statesville Sorry I can't be more help  :-\
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

jason.weir

Zopi,

I looked in a book I've got - "The Circular Sawmill" by C.H. Wendel.

They list a Turner Mfg Co. in Statesville, NC that build tractor powered mills.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the page for you..

-Jason

Jeff

Quote from: jason.weir on June 02, 2009, 05:36:55 PM
Zopi,

I looked in a book I've got - "The Circular Sawmill" by C.H. Wendel.

They list a Turner Mfg Co. in Statesville, NC that build tractor powered mills.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the page for you..

-Jason

If you have a good internet connection and lots of paper in your printer, you can print the book here:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jason.weir

Jeff,

Not the same book at all...  I have that one as well.

This book is out of print..

Its called "The Circular Sawmill"  By C.H. Wendel and is more of a history of sawmills and the companies that built them, although it seems to be more centered after the turn of the century in the Southern and Central US, where I was more interested in the pre-1900 North East mills.

Maybe I'll PDF my version and put it up where everyone can have it.  Since it's out of print I don't think there are any issues..

-Jason

bandmiller2

Zopi,you can study it better in your backyard.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Zopi Im with Frank All the way on this One  Mate  ;)  ;D The only way you can work out what it is exatly and how well it works Mate is by bringing it home pulling it apart and putting it back together again and firing it up  Mate ;) :D :D :D :D ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

jason.weir

Zopi,

I scanned the page - the image quality is not that great - but it is what it is..

http://mail.nhrs.org/download/mill.pdf

-Jason

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jason id be intrested in the pdf copy if its not to much off a drama for you Mate  ;D ;D 8) 8) or do you know of any old indutrial book specalasts that might know where to get an original copy as im also looking for circ sawmills and there efficant operation  ??? ;) ;D ;D thanks in advance Mate  ;D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

jason.weir

Chris,

Do a Google search - I found a couple on Amazon - they wanted over $100, its out of print and hard to find.

I may have a PDF version available - we'll see how today goes.

-J

zopi

Looking at the picture it appears to be the Turner....sure isn't much info on the web...

I'll try to get a picture of it this weekend.

I'm not necessarily trying to own the mill (yet) I relly just want to meet the guy that owns it and find out when he plays with it...OTOH..if he wants rid of it... :D

I don't know much about circle saws...but I'd like to learn.

Thanks for the pics, I would like a copy of htat book if you scan it.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bandmiller2

Zopi you don't want a bite ,just a little sniff ,thats how it all starts.Frank C.

zopi

yeah, I know...I have just too many projects going right now..maybe when I retire..the first time.

There is a certain amount of charm to shuttling the carriage back and forth and not having to walk with it.. :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

It is indeed a turner new pony...pics to follow, and I have located the tax data, know how to find the owner...if it is the farmer I think it is I imagine I will have a fast friend here in just a minute....he's a pretty good old fellow.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Yep..it was the guy I thought...His dad bought the mill new in 1945, the year he was born..I'll try to get the pics off my phone and resize..

He'll run the mill this fall, and I'll try to get out and sling boards for him. He claims difficulty getting people to work at the mill...said he'd recruited a couple weightlifters from the Y in town...they didn't last a day...I told him it was ok...I know what green 2x10 weighs..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!