iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Curly Cherry Desk

Started by WDH, December 05, 2014, 07:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

A little more progress.  Got the rest of the carcass glued up.  The 2x4 in the pic is to make sure that all three of the front legs are perfectly aligned.  Now the desk is taking shape.  Next step is to build the drawers.  Then, the top, last.

Building the top last is a wood working lesson that I learned the hard way.  The first thing that you want to do is make the top, because that is the coolest thing and has the best wood.  Then, you let it sit around for weeks as you build the rest of the project.  Then, when you are ready for the top, you realize that it is not perfectly flat anymore.  The thing to do is build the top at the very end, and as soon as the glue is dry, you attach the top to the carcass, and it will be dead flat. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I don't know, I might have to build the base to suit the top.  :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Looks good. I haven't delved into fine furniture yet. I'm going to be building a drying rack in my garage for some select boards I have and hope to dry them in there.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Dave,first time I ever saw a 8 inch high snake.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've seen boards like that go for as high as $300.00 at Christy's Auction in New York.  :D

For the simple reason of the NATURAL curl.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Dave,

Use mortise and tenon joints on that drying rack and taper the legs  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Danny, as always, it looks real good. It is getting some what cooler here, so I have a few small projects in the shop  temps are around -12°C got to keep the fires going for heat.   fire_smiley
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Andy White

Danny,
Now that I can slow down a bit from my project, I've got a question. How are you going to attach the top to the carcass ?  I've used those small figure 8 washer clips, but I don' want those on the cabinet top. You have really put some fine detailing work on that desk. You need to finish it so I can get some ideas.  :P smiley_clapping smiley_smash  Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

Andy,

I use these.  http://www.rockler.com/table-top-fasteners

Put a biscuit slot in the apron and fasten to the top.  The slot allows for seasonal movement.

hackberry jake

Your wood and your woodworking always inspire me. Especially the wood. If you could, I'm going to need you to send me a PM with your address. And what times during the day you are home. And where you keep the curly cherry. Thanks. ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

OK, but I won't send you the times that I AM NOT AT HOME  :D..

I have been vexed for two days by dove-tail joints on drawers, but today, I managed to free myself from the morass and get the job done  :) :-\.  I had a problem that I could not figure out, then, I finally managed to figure it out, and voila, some decent dove-tail joints.  Loose set screws can screw one up. 

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: WDH on December 07, 2014, 07:59:56 PM

Building the top last is a wood working lesson that I learned the hard way.  The first thing that you want to do is make the top, because that is the coolest thing and has the best wood.  Then, you let it sit around for weeks as you build the rest of the project.  Then, when you are ready for the top, you realize that it is not perfectly flat anymore.  The thing to do is build the top at the very end, and as soon as the glue is dry, you attach the top to the carcass, and it will be dead flat.

I learned that lesson with a coffee table.  I had a nice live edge cedar slab and I trimmed it for a tabletop.  Cut sinker cypress trim and made legs.  Put it to the side for a while and now nothing fits the top, or vice versa.  I didn't even think about a piece of wood that thick twisting. One of the more expensive pieces of wood that I bought pre mill ownership.  Now it just sits waiting for me to decide what to do with it.

WDH

A little more progress.  Have been working on the drawers and the drawer slides.  This is the most tedious part of the build.  Here is a pic of the wooden drawer slides for the larger drawer.  I hate those metal slides and will not use them on a piece of furniture.  There are two side runners and a center slide with a tenon that fits in a groove on the drawer bottom.  This center slide guides the drawer so that it opens and shuts smoothly. 

Here is a pic of the back of the drawer with the runner on the edge of the drawer on the left side (looking at it from the back) and the center slide that guides the drawer.  Someone branded their name upside down  :)

The drawer front is attached to the sides with half blind dovetail joints.  The drawer sides and back are yellow poplar.  I like the contrast. 

Over the top middle of each drawer is a runner that prevents the drawer from tipping as you pull the drawer out.

Carcass is complete and ready for the top, then onto finishing.  Here is the complete carcass with the two drawers installed.  I put a bead around the edges of the drawer front to give it a little shadow line. 

Then, it is time to clean-up the shop  :-\.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The drawer carcass and the drawer itself is really mighty fine craftsmanship.
However, I usually deduct points for upside down brands but since no metal slides were used, I will over look it.  ;D

Very nice job Danny.  :)

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

It is not upside down if you look at it upside down  :D. 

Bill Gaiche

Very nice. Is this for yourself? bg

WDH

For one of my daughters for Christmas. 

Larry

Only nine more days, you best to get pedaling. :D

Its going to make a great present.

I sometimes use center slides either shop made or I have used Rocklers plastic tab.  In any case I use a "T" for the bottom so I don't need a top strip.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mesquite buckeye

Athena's chairs were supposed to be done a couple of years ago. ::) :o :embarassed:

WDH

Larry,

Explain more about the "T" for the bottom. 

Thank You Sponsors!