iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking For Help On My Build Hydraulics and AC Brushless Motors Arduino or Raspb

Started by Jcc583, November 21, 2017, 11:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jcc583

So I've been building a mill for about a year with my free time. My initial plan concept was KISS. But I was recently given some pretty amazing motors and hydraulics from Crown forklifts and consist of One Crown 2611 rpm 91.7 hz 33 15% duty rating 20.54 kW with main hydro pump. Two crown motors 36 v s3 15% fn=110hz with hydraulic pumps. Two Crown 36v 1690 rpm 58.3hz 4.8 kW motors. 6 rams 2 tilt rams. 1 tank with filter assembly. Now this motor are Brushless ac motors that I'm told run off DC without an inverter. Reason there called ac is because of there working principles. They require ESC controls to function. So now that I have all these goodies I want to try and put to good use. I'm thinking about using Arduino or Raspberry PI as the brains. I'm looking to use the setworks program found on this form but want help implementing a debarker and electronic hydraulic controls into the program as well! I will post pictures of parts.

uler3161

I also tried my own setworks for my LT40. Used an Arduino. But, I never could figure out how to keep the Arduino from locking up when I had it hooked into the mills power supply. If I ran it from a USB cable connected to my laptop it had no issues. Unfortunately my background is software development, not electrical engineering, so I wasn't really sure what to do. I could have probably powered it with a separate battery pack, but really wanted it to run off the mill electrical.   I actually thought about putting a battery pack inline with power from the sawmill to keep it charged, but wasn't entirely sure that was a good idea.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Crusarius

I would think you should have been able to run it straight off the battery with a resistor to get the correct voltage input?

I am thinking of the same thing for my mill. I dunno how soon I will do it but I have a pile of arduino stuff on my desk here at work I need to teach myself how to use.

I would love to help more but I am along for the ride on this one.

mburrow

Kbeitz

What I see and don't like is the amperage of the motors.
That was the first thing I looked at when building my mill.
Wheelchair motors was the best I found. I found out that
my system drawed so little amperage that it would run if I
forgot to turn on my master switch. It would run only off
the alternator. Forklift motors need BIG batteries and draw
large currents.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: uler3161 on November 21, 2017, 11:32:35 AM
I also tried my own setworks for my LT40. Used an Arduino. But, I never could figure out how to keep the Arduino from locking up when I had it hooked into the mills power supply. If I ran it from a USB cable connected to my laptop it had no issues. Unfortunately my background is software development, not electrical engineering, so I wasn't really sure what to do. I could have probably powered it with a separate battery pack, but really wanted it to run off the mill electrical.   I actually thought about putting a battery pack inline with power from the sawmill to keep it charged, but wasn't entirely sure that was a good idea.

You need a Battery Isolator.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum!

Another sideline watcher here.  Arduino or RasPi are on my to-do list for future playing around.  No experience with either, and my limited experience with controls is from a few decades ago.  So that qualifies me to dispense advice on the internet.  8)

Just kidding!  I'll be watching and cheering.
Woodland Mills HM130

Jcc583

Ok so if the motors are too high in amperage I'll need to figure out how to run the pump from my twin 18hp.

uler3161

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 21, 2017, 11:56:23 AM

It's been a few years since I worked on this, so my memory is a bit foggy. I tried a couple step down converters, but looking at the descriptions, they were non-isolated which I suppose is the problem. I do recall building a circuit that I found a schematic for somewhere. That didn't work. I don't remember what kind of circuit it was though. I also tried a cigarette lighter usb supply, but that also failed, which surprised me. Maybe it wasn't a good enough quality one.

Dan

Jcc583

Kbeitz

Quote from: uler3161 on November 21, 2017, 12:45:20 PM

It's been a few years since I worked on this, so my memory is a bit foggy. I tried a couple step down converters, but looking at the descriptions, they were non-isolated which I suppose is the problem. I do recall building a circuit that I found a schematic for somewhere. That didn't work. I don't remember what kind of circuit it was though. I also tried a cigarette lighter usb supply, but that also failed, which surprised me. Maybe it wasn't a good enough quality one.

High amp isolators

http://www.perfectswitch.com/isolators/
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: Jcc583 on November 21, 2017, 12:46:56 PM
If I run 36 volts the smaller motors will run about 70 amps.

My biggest motor is only 180 watts stalled rotor.
My alternator is only 40 amp.

You can use what you have but your controllers is going to be big $$$.
Your also going to need a big alternator and that's going to take Hp from
you'r engine. I would bet your also going to need two BIG batteries to
take the surge. But if you already have everything then go for it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

uler3161

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 21, 2017, 12:58:33 PM
Quote from: uler3161 on November 21, 2017, 12:45:20 PM

High amp isolators

http://www.perfectswitch.com/isolators/

Thanks. I'll take a look at those.

Dan

Jcc583

Theses are some other items I'm looking to use with the hopes you some advice!

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!