iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker for Beach logs

Started by Hollis Alaska, March 19, 2014, 03:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollis Alaska

We floated some cedar beach logs over to our cabin and trying to come up with a way to saw them. I have an old LT 30 with no debarker and am trying to figure out a way to cut a clean up kerf in the log. There is no bark left on the logs, but they do have grit in the outer surface. I've been thinking about tearing apart my plate joiner and building a mount for it, it's blade is the width of a biscuit. Has anybody built anything like this or any other ideas? We live out on an island in Alaska and things are not always easy to come up with.

Thanks Gary

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hey Gary....without tearing down one tool to use as another tool (debarker) have you considered using a pressure washer.
I'd love to see a Cedar Beach log, if ya got a pic.

Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

I haven't worked with cedar, so I don't know what it's characteristics are, but a pressure washer, or even a good hose might do it. A Log Wizard would work as well. I've even resorted to wire brushes. You only need to worry about the opening face, and you could even roll the log backwards so you are sawing into a cut face until you get the slabs off.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

redbeard

Welcome Hollis , there is another way you can get it kerfed. Set your height for opening cut and push saw head up to end of log and mark it. Then raise head and run it to other end and lower head to height it would be when blade exits and mark it then snap a chalk line and then make your kerf cut with chainsaw. Should only need to do it on opening cut. Roll log so your cutting into  fresh wood on second   third cuts. Cedar that's been on beach for a long time is hard on blade life.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POC

I like the chalk line idea, but think I might just hit it with a draw knife instead of a chainsaw.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Gary.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

redbeard

The chainsaw works good cause you can get in a litte more deeper the sand is the enemy it is deep in the smallest of checking. First cut is the hardest on the blade. Really put the coolant to your blade also.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Joe Hillmann

I would suggest snapping a line to figure out where the cut will be then use anything available to remove a little bit of wood from the line: a chain saw, a chisel, an axe, a draw knife, a skill saw.  Or you could scrub it with water or a pressure washer.

Magicman

Welcome back Gary.  You have been gone entirely too long.   :)

Don't forget the old fashioned way.

Water and these.

I have a Debarker and I still wear some out from use.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hollis Alaska

Thanks for all the input. Going to try marking the log and scribing it with the chainsaw, the small cracks are 1 to 2 inches.  Need to figure out how to mark wet wood, and maybe figure out how to make a debarker later. I bounce from thing to thing depending on the time of year. Need to get a new porch built and get ready for our first guests now. Stay busy on the boats and kayaks fishing, hunting and keeping everything running, but it's a good life. The logs are 30 to 60 feet long and are tied up in front of the cabin. The high tide covers our road, so I just float them where I want them, then drag the mill down when the tide goes out.

Thanks Gary

Small Slick

Where exactly is Hollis AK?  My wife is from Alaska.

John

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Hollis Alaska on March 19, 2014, 11:10:16 PM
<<SNIP>>
The high tide covers our road, so I just float them where I want them, then drag the mill down when the tide goes out.

That's great!  No need to clean up the sawdust, either! 8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hollis Alaska

We are in about the center of Prince of Wales Island in South East Alaska, 3 hours by boat or 1/2 hour by float plane west of Ketchikan. Our cabin is on 12 Mile arm off Kassan Bay in Hollis Anchorage. Where is your wife from?

Gary

Small Slick

Sounds like you are in the "bush" even by Alaskan standards. My wife was in a few places but generally grew up in Palmer.

If you were curious you could search for her, she was a 4 time State champion discus thrower from 1993-1996 or so.

I was in Valdez, North Pole, Barrow and Point Lay when I would go up and work construction.
John

trapper

He has his location marked on his member map
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

losttheplot

Slab them heavy, then put a fresh blade on to slice up the cant's.

Use the slabs for rustic projects like benches or planters.

Just my 5 cents  :) :)

LTP.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Thank You Sponsors!