iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A tale of two tool chests.

Started by Jeff, June 20, 2016, 08:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drafthorse

Nice stuff Jeff, that #1 Stanley is a rare find. And when I did have one in my hand, I didn't have enough in my bank account to afford it. Sharpen that back saw. You can never get the accuracy from a power miter box that you will get from the old one. You never saw gaps from trim carpenters when they used the old Stanley and Millers Fall Miter boxes. I'm very happy for you, What a treasure.

Jeff

My son just sat this down on the chair next to me. Gene sent it home for me. Jeremy made a no contact visit today to shuttle stuff for Tammy as we are quarantined.

Pretty cool!!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

Gonna shave the beard?

:)

Hang in there through your quarantine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

newoodguy78

The upper piece with the two slots and small hole, A handle for the lower pieces?

Jeff

Ill have to do some studying on it

Hilltop366

The top piece goes on the right end of the bottom piece fastened through the hole, the slots are to run the rods through, the two slots are for different sharpening angles. The rods go on the stones (if they are not already), the knife is clamped in the left end of the bottom piece.

Magicman

My late Brother gave me a Lansky sharpener very similar to that and as Dan indicated above, it will get a blade razor sharp.  Enjoy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

biggkidd

I miss my Lansky it grew legs some years ago. Which is surprising considering I still have lots tools & stuff from my teens.
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

21incher

I recently made a video about the basics of how those sharpening systems work. 
Sharpening Some Small Knives Using Lansky, Gatco, And Smith Sharpening Guide Kits - YouTube
I use mine all the time. They are very easy to use. Hope you and tammy are doing well and she recovers quickly. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

Perfect! Ill know exactly where to go learn now. Tammy is up looking through a box of photos, still dealing with he mom's death. She's not coughing, and not back in bed, so, so far so good.

thecfarm

So far so good is a good thing!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

She seems to be somewhat better today, but being covid, we'll not let a guard down. 

newoodguy78

Never know what you'll learn on here, thanks for the explanation. 
Jeff glad to hear Tammy is doing better. 

Bruno of NH

Sorry to hear about Tammy
Hope she starts feeling better
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

Tammy came home from Gene's yesterday with a box for me. Man, I need to have him teach me how to sharpen knives. These are all sharper than any knives in the house. The two pans make me wish I had a woodstove.

newoodguy78

With the reflection of those blades there's no hiding the sharpness. That's a score. 

Walnut Beast

Looks like some nice treasures 👍

Don P

Its a good friend that gives you a sharp knife   ;D

Jeff

I made a video today with the knives.

This is not a "How to" video. It's more of a "how does that guy manage to get by" video.   :)
Knives and Donuts - YouTube

SwampDonkey

Be careful Jeff, you keep being blessed with all those treasures and pretty soon you will either be adding onto the barn or walking down narrow paths to find that one tool 'over in behind there.' :D :D 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Another take this home to Jeff this morning. Tammy stopped by for something this morning, probably to check on Gene. He was at our house yesterday for Easter dinner. Oh! I bet she was picking up a plate she sent home. Anyhow, this was not Gene's.  It was Tammy's Grampa Cliff's Oil can. Tammy's mom's dad.

SwampDonkey

Brass? Some sort of plunger on top?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

No, I dont think its brass, but an original paint. I think the trigger opens the gate at the bottom of the can, as it pours from the bottom.

rusticretreater

Yeah, in a places I worked we had a big tank of bulk oil with a pump.  You would fill up the can, bend the spout into the oil fill of an engine and press the lever.  Some places are still like that.  Later we would put the plastic quart bottles into them upside down and collect the oil.  After a full day or two, you had a free oil change for your car.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

trimguy

Thank You Sponsors!