iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Inventory

Started by crtreedude, April 08, 2008, 07:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

It is a good thing we have the Baker sawmill - wish I had another one right now. We just finished an inventory of trees we need to cut this year.

On the first finca, 120 trees - all older trees (this are not plantation trees - those start next year)  Some of these are very large.

On the new finca, 230+ trees. In total, more than 120,000 BF between both fincas.  8)

Average value of the wood 1 dollar per BF.  (wood is really getting expensive here)

We will sell the poorer quality wood for concrete forms (huge demand for this) and keep the rest for our furniture factory. Because we also make things for the souvinor market, we can used everything, limbs, stumps, pretty much everything down to 3 inches.

We have a tractor, thankfully, which we are about to buy a winch for - but, just to go even further, we just bought a backhoe. It is being used in construction (and we also will do work for others) and right now it is being used to haul logs out of the river - we had a bridge give up, and we estimate that it might have as much as 40,000 dollars of wood in it! (not counted in the above) - this is because the wood of these bridges start at 4 dollars and goes up there per BF.

Anyway, just a quick report
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Dave Shepard

Good to hear some positive news once in a while! If you were to upgrade your milling capacity, would you buy another mill like you have to keep it simple, or trade up to one higher capacity mill?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

crtreedude

Probably the same - labor is pretty cheap down here and we have to move the logs to location, that generally takes a combination of tractor and / or oxen.

But hydralics might not be bad either. Some of the logs are so hard that I might want a Peterson - cutting up those logs from the river is a chore I can tell you!

Dave Shepard

Do you measure hardness in Rockwell? :D Peterson would add flexibility, and with abundant labor, would have a very high bdft per hour too. 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

crtreedude

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 08, 2008, 08:17:39 PM
Do you measure hardness in Rockwell? :D Peterson would add flexibility, and with abundant labor, would have a very high bdft per hour too. 8)

Dave

You laugh. Corteza is so hard it has the fire rating of steel or concrete.  :o

flip

I'd like to see a picture of that stuff :o

Is it weldable :)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Fla._Deadheader

If anyone can post the Densities of White Oak, Live Oak, and Any other HARD woods, of the USA, it will show the comparison of Density to Corteza or Tamarindo. They are in the Density of  0.85-0.92. I don't consider Osage to be THAT hard, if a band mill can saw it, but would be a good comparison.

DRIED Osage or Live Oak densities, might be a better comparison to Corteza and Tamarindo.

Doubt if Fred is familiar with Leche Amarillo, but, I posted in the "Spring Photos" thread, of a log the local Mill couldn't saw, with Stellite ?? Carbide ?? Tungsten?? tipped blades. They moved the log to my mill site, to saw, along with all the rest of the 10 logs of 2 trees. Largest dia of butt logs, 11' long, was 43" small end.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

In fire videos I've seen. Steel spans will collapse way before big wood timbers in a building.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Live Oak is reported to be about 55 lbs per cubic foot, air dry.

SeeSaw

You beat me to it Swamp Donkey, That is correct.  Steel beams will fail before wood timbers of comparable or larger size.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

Thank You Sponsors!