iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timber frame and masonry

Started by bcurt, February 17, 2023, 12:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcurt

How would you install a timber frame awning on a brick garage or home? 6 x 6 knee braces most likely with 4 x 4 upper ledger

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

For the ledger, will need to find out what is behind the brick veneer to attach the ledger. Often there is not much, but depends on the construction. 
Do you know what it is? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bcurt

Thanks for the reply. As for the house it would be brick veneer ,1" space , cinder block. I do know that veneer can only support the dead load above. 

Jim_Rogers

It may be necessary for you to run a post down from the awning ledger to a support at the foundation level. And only secure the post to prevent it from falling over. 
Another concern is if you put through bolts through the ledge and blocks to the interior.  The blocks may need a concrete core to be strong enough. I'm not sure. 
If a through bolt goes through the ledger and the block to the interior, then you have a risk of condensation at the hot/cold location of that bolt. 
Lots of things to consider.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Zgin

HILTI has a mesh sleeve insert for epoxy anchors in hollow masonry that may work if extended into the block substrate 

bcurt

I've seen the back of the knee brace extended to ground, might be the only for sure way. going to talk to a contractor about the hilti's. Ever see anything like this on a second floor window? I have not. Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!