iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wrap and strap screws

Started by addicted, March 03, 2023, 05:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Hey Gang 
 Im getting ready to attach the walls to a frame on a wrap and strap project. As I was shopping for screws I thought i'd ask if anyone had advice on screws they would recommend or avoid from experience.
Rusty

Don P

Look for an "ESR" number, Engineering Services Report, and read the report. I believe fastenmaster had load and spacing tables for that use. 

Anyway, that is the correct path. The ESR is an independent third party code approval. Use that product within the intent of the ESR and you should be good to go.

As opposed to, I happened to be in the little local building supply when a hardware salesman happened by and the owner of the store asked me what I thought of the guy's pretty gold painted "framing screws". There is no approval on the box. I asked if there was code approval, did he have some strength tables to go by, anything?... he got the deer in the headlights look and when I left he was on the phone to the office somewhere... china and old bumpers and beer cans I imagine. There is trash out there all depending.

addicted

Thanks Don
I was starting with the screws used by sip installers and found a quite a few different manufactures. All the ones I've seen have esr data. I was mostly looking for favorable or notso comments / suggestions on experience using one manufacturer to the other on installation, quality of coating, pre drilling, head size and availability. 
Rusty

Thank You Sponsors!