iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tigercat to discontinue 2 skidders

Started by timbco68, April 19, 2023, 07:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountaynman

For sure Joe there was a mill down here that had a couple tracked bells that would fell the straddle the tree go up and top it then back down grab it back out to the trail and put them in hitches for the grapples lots of ways to do it they had two really good operators on them. Lots of different ways to do it for sure.
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Riwaka

If the new larger skidders cost so much,(and no smaller skidder being built new) at what price point does it become economic to give a smaller older skidders partial rebuilds depending on what is required. (Updating the engine to a higher tier)
or giving a tractor the Kotschenreuther.

The Euros still have smaller skidders.
The French Camox skidder is 175hp Tier 4, weight is around 12 tons. (Other Camox skidders are euro Tier 5)

Width 98 inches, 2.5 meters on the small 23.1 x 26 tires.

The Equus Slovakian 175 skidder starts at 19K lbs and upwards depending on.

https://www.equuseu.com/production-program

ehp

Most of the skidders in my area are 30 plus years old cause no small skidders made Most machines are 102 inches wide or less with most being in the mid 90's inches

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Riwaka on April 28, 2023, 10:01:35 PM
If the new larger skidders cost so much,(and no smaller skidder being built new) at what price point does it become economic to give a smaller older skidders partial rebuilds depending on what is required. (Updating the engine to a higher tier)
or giving a tractor the Kotschenreuther.

The Euros still have smaller skidders.
The French Camox skidder is 175hp Tier 4, weight is around 12 tons. (Other Camox skidders are euro Tier 5)

Width 98 inches, 2.5 meters on the small 23.1 x 26 tires.

The Equus Slovakian 175 skidder starts at 19K lbs and upwards depending on.

https://www.equuseu.com/production-program
Personal i think, if you dont want the new technology it's usually worth fixing the old. But it's tough to come of with the money for a restore and the down time. 

ehp

Around here I just cannot see spending $500,000 for a new skidder unless you got that much coin just sitting around cause having to pay for that will be very hard and you can never count of having a place to sell your logs for the next 5 years or having work for a mill for the next 5 years 

teakwood

Even if you have the 500k laying around, financially it wouldn't make sense if you can't have a return on your investment with a nice profit. you would be better off investing that money in something more lucrative 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

That's what I'm saying , even cut to length here even when it comes legal I cannot see it working cause of the cost to own and operate the machines , To go to Tigercat and buy the machines to cut the bigger wood in our money I'm guessing 2 million but it could be more than that , Yes alot easier on the body but huge payments in a market no one knows is going to be buying 

Brian_Rhoad

Southside

41,000 lbs, over width, and they call that a "small" skidder! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ehp

And believe they are not small , good thing about the turn around seat cause you would tear half the bush down getting turned around with out it , just way to big for real select cutting 

barbender

A turn around seat effectively makes a machine much smaller.
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

The guy I got my hydraulic winch from that did a logging stint for three years felt the need after awhile for a bigger skidder. He had a smaller Timberjack, larger Timberjack and a CAT D4 grapple skidder. He had a John Deere 848 L  he was going to use but took on more farming ground so he said goodbye to the dangerous work before one of his four guys got really hurt or killed.

ehp

Turn around seat is nice , the forwarder I had had it but I tried that machine in the bush and way way to wide but it was 12 feet wide with the big flotation tires on it and the wide bunks , I am going to try that 648 again and see if I can make it work or have to sell it to Barge cause he is buying everything 

Log-it-up

But it's not just a 500k skidder you can't possibly hand cut that much too pay the monthly payment with out killing your self so you have to add the 700k buncher then the slasher loader at 450k it doesn't really end the equipment manufacturers have really put the squeeze on the little guy

BargeMonkey

☝️☝️☝️ The system out here is rigged against the little guy. Fuel, insurance, no help, and every jump you make with iron just adds to it. Had a local kid here spouting off about getting big and I said be careful because slavery is only a few strokes of the pen away. The wood is out there, works out there, how hard do you wanna beat your head against the wall ? 

Ed sit tight, I'm not planning to disappoint you this year 😆. 

barbender

I think the way that the system is rigged against the little guy, is the fact that in logging there are too many little guys willing to work for not enough money. Guys love working in the woods and continue to deliver wood for prices that aren't enough. As soon as the mills are short on supply, the prices move upward. So then what do loggers do? Turn right around and pay more for stumpage🤷
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

Barge you never disappoint .  Thing is most of you guys are working in a different type of logging and timber Ohio logger is like here but we have more tree cutting bylaws.  . I would never cut grade timber with a slasher . You cannot see the grade of grain of the wood as good as standing right on it . When your value is say 10 times or more in grades of veneer over saw logs you better watch real close or your loosing money fast and hard .  . I feel a goid skidder one size bigger than say my old 230a would be pretty . Say the size of a short frame 666d or 667 with cummins 

OH logger

Alll this talk about big money big skidders makes me really appreciate my debt free 548 even more. I take real good care of it and kinda baby it. In return I hope it takes care of my son(s) and me for many many years. It's put a lot of bread on our table. Good narrow light nimble capable machine for us. 
john

BargeMonkey

Ed said he's going to loan me the money to be able to afford filling it  😆 NY thinks everyone is stupid, and I know this maybe hard for the "the permit lovers" to hear, but I'm not getting another fuel permit to mount a 500 + my regular fuel oil tanks at my house, nope. Trailer is 750 or 900 gal, they can't say a word about it. I think it will be handy.

Walnut Beast

3.55 Diesel around here out side the city off the interstate 

BargeMonkey

Gasoline was more expensive than on-road for a couple days. I bet if you bought a trailer load of off-road right now it would 2.80-.90ish 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: BargeMonkey on May 02, 2023, 09:33:15 PM
Ed said he's going to loan me the money to be able to afford filling it  😆 NY thinks everyone is stupid, and I know this maybe hard for the "the permit lovers" to hear, but I'm not getting another fuel permit to mount a 500 + my regular fuel oil tanks at my house, nope. Trailer is 750 or 900 gal, they can't say a word about it. I think it will be handy.

We don't need permits until it's very large. Not sure what size. I know lots of loggers with multiple 1000s. We have it pretty good here yet. Even without the permit problems that trailer would be handy. Yesterday my delivered cost was 2.89. I'm happy with that. 

ehp

Barge any time just keep it under $25 or I will have to take a loan out at the bank .  Here right now its $1.65 a litre so we are paying alot more than you guys to the south but thats still better than #2.50 a litre . 

teakwood

He Eric, how much is such a trailer? man, that thing would solve me some problems
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

Barge has 5 or 6 of those trailers just because he can 

Thank You Sponsors!