iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Value of good help

Started by Dan R, April 20, 2024, 09:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan R

I usually saw by myself and enjoy it that way. Its my time to work at my pace and think things through. Today being the weekend and cutting more cedar for my Daughter and SIL I had him and my youngest Daughter which the wood is for her older Sister helping. It was a pleasure to have them help. I can understand why the mobile sawyers like good help. My productivity was greatly increased.

Magicman

My greatest joy sawing is when I have had my Son or Grandsons helping.  During the Covid mess, Grandson Luke helped me for an entire year. 

IMG_7300.JPG
And I have not been the same since.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Back in 97, I bought my first mill(LT40) and would drag my teenaged son Warren along many times for help and entertainment(he is really funny). Fast forward 27 years and Warren has a thriving sawmill business with 5 employees with two sawmills and contracts with logging road construction companies and a buyer of high end Yellow cedar beams. For whatever reason you/we bring  offspring/family to do a days milling, it is alway fun and can leave a positive impression on the young ones....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

Luke's work ethic is beyond compare.
IMG_0656~0.JPG
He is now operating a plow, trencher, excavator, shovel, and whatever else is needed in his Dad's Fiber Optic Construction Co.
IMG_1839~0.JPG
Of course I tell them that "dirt ain't sawdust". 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan R

Lynn
Is that also called directional drilling ? 
Nice looking equipment 
Dan. 

Dan R

Also just noticed the foot wear. Hmmmm?
Must have been just a photo Op. 

Magicman

Yes, I also noticed the footwear.  Both pictures were taken when the machines arrived, not during a work day.  The log picture of Luke was taken his first day on the job. 

IMG_7996.JPG

IMG_7782.JPG

IMG_8140.JPGAfter that he always had boots on.

Magicman

Quote from: Dan R on April 21, 2024, 04:57:06 PMIs that also called directional drilling ? 
Yes, directional or horizontal boring. 

Don P

We've hired a few hoods, the main thing was watching what was viewed and making sure deterrence was understood.

Dan R

Good help
I don't know how to Edit

thecfarm

Lower right of your post should be a more button. This will bring up the smileys.
QUICK EDIT will bring up just the text.
Then SAVE, lower right when done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan R

thecfarm

I have a friend that is a true friend. He comes to visit and no matter what I am doing for work, he there's with a pair of gloves helping.
He does not stand there and ask, Do you need some help?
With him, he is at my side helping. 
Did have to tell him what to do with the sawmill, but he caught on fast.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Ray, does your friend have a sister?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ianab

This is why mill manufacturers don't like publishing production figures, or say "up to.." 
Most small mills can be operated OK by a single person, just not at their full potential. If you are removing a board or getting a new log ready, the mill isn't cutting. Saw is only in the wood 50% of the time? (at most).

A couple of helpers, And / Or some machinery and the mill is cutting 90% of the time. I often saw alone, but to really get things moving I need a couple of good helpers, good logs, and some machinery. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Yes he does have a sister.  ffcheesy

Thank You Sponsors!