iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SNAKES ON A MILL

Started by willmyers0169, June 23, 2014, 07:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willmyers0169

Was busy milling some flooring this morning on the LT 15 and heard something fall, i thought i was a log clamp until my dad stopped me and said look, under the mill was a 4' black snake that had fallen out of the rafters, with a belly full of RAT. Thank God he didnt fall on me or i would have left the mill with him.
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

Magicman

No snake today, but we did saw a hollow log that had a rat in it.  An off bearer grabbed it, gave it a sling, and we never missed a lick.  Where is a good snake when you need it??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Small Slick

Two of my guys were changing a fuse box in a customers home and there was a fox snake in the suspended ceiling of the basement. One grabbed it by the tail and the other wacked it with a shovel. It also had a big bulge in its belly. Probably the chimp monk that made the hole in the house it used to get in.

I guess it was 48" long.

John

WoodenHead

You guys can keep both the snakes and the rats!   I don't care to play with either.  :D

dboyt

As long as it is not venomous, any snake is welcome around my mill.  Copperheads are a 'nother story.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Brad_bb

When I was a kid, I used to see garder snakes often here on the farm (hour south of Chicago).  I've seen Prarie King snake and bull snake too.  But....I have not seen a snake here in probably 5 years now, and I have way to many mice.  I could use some snakes.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

goose63

Brad you can have all my garder snakes the yard is full of them I cant kill em fast enough
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

MSSawmill

Quote from: dboyt on June 25, 2014, 08:53:17 AM
As long as it is not venomous, any snake is welcome around my mill.  Copperheads are a 'nother story.
Ain't that the truth! I've already taken one out at the creek behind the house, my wife got one in the yard, and dad got one trying to cross the road. And we had a big moccasin on the walkway just outside the back door! (Wife freaked out on that one and didn't get it. I was at work...)
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

beenthere

Don't know the garder snake, but am familiar with the garter snake. Maybe the same one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_snake
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

I had a Garter snake by the mill pad yesterday and 2 more today.  My wife saw another in the mill vicinity today.  I hope they eat mice because they are a plenty.

WDH

It is very snaky here. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Prolly 'cause we gots lots of snakes.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw the movie snakes on a plane.
I went thinking wood plane but it was an airplane.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

jmouton

i really dont like snakes       

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

scully

How to kill a snake ..... Load every gun you own empty on snake or as near as you can douse the area that the snake was last seen with gas and tires then light . after that shoot area some more ,throw axes at area and ..... well only if they supprise you .....
I bleed orange  .

Alligator

In south Alabama it stays warm enough that all kind of snakes don't have to winter under ground. In the spring when we started running the planer hot and heavy, there would always be a few 10-15 between the sticks. We had an unstacker that sent the sticks down a belt and the lumber onto a chain deck to the planer. The snakes always came down on the lumber. My job among other things, was to KILL THE SNAKE! It didn't matter what kind, because the crew wouldn't come back into the planer shed if there was a snake on the lose. They had to SEE a dead snake! 8) There was all kinds, Rattlers and Rat, White Oaks and Copper Heads, Black and Graters. Never any Moccasins in spite of the fact there were plenty on the yard?

The only fear of snakes I have / had was the ones I couldn't see first. If they surprise you even the non poisonous will make you hurt yourself.

We had a logger, that I couldn't cruse timber with. He would show you every snake in the woods. I wanted to see the ones in my path, but not ALL of them. He saw every one. Knowing that there were that many gave me the creeps.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Darrel

My wife was in the shower a while back and the water went dry.  I went out to the pump house and got to looking around and found that a tiny little garter snake had gotten himself into the switch box.  He was fried and so was the switch.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!