iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for the least expensive and easy way to turn 3/4 plywood into T & G

Started by crazy, November 19, 2016, 07:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy

The price difference is about $20 per sheet.  That adds up pretty quick.

DR Buck

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Don P

Larry

Find some place else to buy it?  When I built our house a few years ago I bought 70 sheets from the wholesale hardwood floor supplier and it was cheaper than no T&G from the box stores.  I had to do some work to find them as they don't advertise or solicit business from the DIY crowd.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

yukon cornelius

I bought a tongue and groove set off eBay for about $30 with free shipping and I got a LOT of use out of them until I got a craftsman shaper. They still work good for projects I don't want to lift onto the shaper.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Rural

It was not something I thought of until I saw this post but T&G plywood can either be 'full face' or 'scant face' meaning that one will match up with 24/ 48" centers when laid lenthwise across joists whereas the other will come up with the width of the tongue short each time (a real problem on a longer floor / roof). A regular plywood sheet modified by routing the ends will have this problem and the saving may well be lost in extra cuts and aggravation!

Planman1954

Wouldn't you end up losing the 24" of spacing for nailing the plywood to the joists? I guess you could simply rout using the tongue bit on all sides only, and use a spline set into the groove.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Larry

You didn't mention what your doing with the plywood.  Can you use "H" clips?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

crazy

This would be for flooring.  We bought a unit of T & G already but saw the plywood later for 10.98 a sheet.  The T & G was 28 a sheet.  The cheapskate in me got to wondering when I saw the price difference.  I will need to go back with my tale measure.  Thanks.

Magicman

T&G Plywood subfloor panels are a much different product from "regular" plywood.  Different manufacturers market it by different labels such as Sturd-I-Floor and PlyBond. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

Cheap and easy?  Those two words usually don't go hand in hand...  :D
Cheap would be a circular saw and a board to be clamped on the plywood.  Over and over again.  It can be done.
Easy would be buying the expensive stuff that's already done.

There's two kinds of currency in this world - time and money.  If you don't have one, you better have the other.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

crazy

Quote from: Ox on November 21, 2016, 11:44:35 AM
Cheap and easy?  Those two words usually don't go hand in hand...  :D
Cheap would be a circular saw and a board to be clamped on the plywood.  Over and over again.  It can be done.
Easy would be buying the expensive stuff that's already done.

There's two kinds of currency in this world - time and money.  If you don't have one, you better have the other.

Well put.

Thank You Sponsors!