iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****

Started by L. Wakefield, February 16, 2004, 04:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

Ok, if this isn't the dumbest post ever, I'll just have to keep trying..  on another discussion board there was reference to a tree in Texas. The poster SWORE it was called a 'chicken**** tree'. Because of the disagreeable smell of the bark and leaves, I think. They said there had been one on the farm where they grew up about 50 years ago, but could find no other information (not surprising), nor any living specimens. It supposedly had some type of healing virtue, although *I* wouldn't be tempted to start with that particular tree..

Well, I doubt you all have any leads, but I fingered that if there were such a tree, Texans just would not be the sort to let that kind of a name drop off the radar, know what I mean? So I am asking for leads (and leaving myself WIDE OPEN for icoming- well- you know.. )  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Tom

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_profile.cgi?symbol=TRSE6

Triadica sebifera

Chinese tallow tree
          vegetable tallow
          white wax berry
          chicken tree
          Florida aspen
          popcorn tree

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=tree_id;action=display;num=995391074;start=2

etat

I think we should start a new poll, who's smarter, Jeff, or Tom.  both of em never cease to amaze me with their knowledge! :) :) :) :) :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

DanG

I dunno, Tom. ???  Them 4 asteriskes after "chicken" must mean sumpthin, but I'll be pooped if I know what. ::)
They mighta been talking about a chinaberry tree. I know they make a awful mess, and stink to high heaven.  Back when I had a stump grinder a feller hired me to remove a chinaberry stump. You'da thought I'd dug up a outhouse or sumpthin. HOOOEEE, that thing like to have run me off! :-X
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Could be a Chinaberry, Dang.  Popcorn trees don't smell too good either,but, I've been told that every farm has a Chinabery.    Don't know why they couldn't find one not though.  

Every ditch and lot has a popcorn tree down here.

Did you know Chinaberry wood makes one of the prettiest bowls you ever saw? ........well, not as pretty as Redbut. :)

Texas Ranger

Redbut?  I heard about a case of the red, err, nevermind.

China berry I have turned looks a little like mahogany, with flecks of rays and such.  Chinese Tallow I have no use for, and it does smell foul.  And I think the chicken**** comes from the white seed hulls on the ground.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

Oooo! That was fowl, Staples.

:D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I think Red Bud is a Mahogany.

That was foul DanG. :D

L. Wakefield

I shall pass the info on. You were right about the significance of the asterisks (asterixes sounds better when you say it). If they come up with any medicinal uses, I will pass that back.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

OneWithWood

Just in case the Chinese Tallow doesn't pan out you might check into the Ginko tree.  Ginko Biloba I think is the scientific moniker.  The female tree has a powerful smell when fruiting and there are purported midicinal uses.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

L. Wakefield

I got back to the newsgroup with the original question and referred them over here. We shall see if we get any takers especially new registrants. I told them a bit about how excellent the forum is.  lw

HLS

8)
I was the poster in the other group with the tree of strange name.
The four asterisks would, if filled in, go against the agreement of this board so I will not go further.

The tree was clearly not a chinaberry.  We have our share of those nasty things.

I believe the tree had small white flowers in the spring, maybe a rough bark like -what we call - an ironwood.

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, HLS.

I haven't found a picture of the flowers for the Tallow tree but they are prolific where I live and I've seen little white flowers on them.  Have you looked at the links in the post above to see if this tree is reminiscant of your's?  

L. Wakefield

Hey HLS, welcome! Good for you to take the time to come over. I hope you like it and stick around. These are excellent folks with a collective knowledge base that boggles the mind (my baseline is pre-boggled anyway but that's another story)  lw

LeeB

china berry is a relative of mahogany. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

L. Wakefield

So- I crack up every time I read the title I gave this thread. Just to fill all y'all in...the joke goes like this...

Q. What is the difference between a northen fairy tale and a southern fairy tale?

A. A northern fairy tale begins, 'Once upon a time..'

A southern fairy tale begins, 'Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****..'    lw

crosscut

hehehehe this is fun :) cut many of both down and run them thru my chipper live or dead none smelled anywhere close to whats described guess we need smore guesses

Thank You Sponsors!