iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumbermate extensions

Started by J Beyer, February 13, 2003, 09:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Beyer

Anyone here with a Lumbermate with a lot of extensions to cut 30' timbers?  Do you remove some sectons to stay portable?  If so, how difficult is it to get everything lined back up for the long timbers?
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Jason_WI

I have two 4' extentions to cut 21' but my mill is setup stationary. You might be able to make up some sort of allignment device on the end of your portable mill that is setup to cut 13' and be able to line it up with a 17' section that is stationary. A flat, level surface would be required as well as leveling feet for adjustments. Maybe two 1.5" dia ground steel rods that are 3 to 4' long and slide into machined pockets that are attached to each section. A couple of bolts and a laser line level to check for allignment and you should be set to saw in no time. How often would you have to saw 30' stuff?

Just shooting from the hip here. We have some old bale elevators that are sectioned up in a similar way but allignment isn't as critical on them.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

J Beyer

I would saw the 30ft timbers for special orders.  Being equipped to handle the big jobs without waiting for equipment could make the contracts for big timbers easier to get.  With a long enough mill, would it be possible to be milling on one end while a log is being loaded on the other?  would work best on a manual mill with helpers around.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Thank You Sponsors!