iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LCD or Plasma?

Started by Qweaver, August 16, 2007, 09:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I've never had cable (tons of free channles in Houston) or a flat screen TV, but we want to be able to watch football while we work on the interior of the cabin this fall...so I guess I'll sign-up.  Now to choose a new TV.  I looked at the LCDs, projection and Plasmas and the LCD seemed to win hands down.  What's the scoop on HD TVs?
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dutchman

You do not need cable to watch HD TV, you can pull the signal out of the air with
HD rabbit ears.
I bought an antenna from: http://www.antennasdirect.com/
You can do a search for channels in your area at that sight.
I got a small LCD 27"diagonal  HDTV, with new antenna.
My brothers say it's as good as cable.
Good luck

jokers

That`s interesting Dutchman, I never even considered that you could get Hi Def without cable.

I bought a nice Hi Def LCD for my son the other day, man were we impressed with the picture in the store. Unfortunately when we got it home and hooked to the digital but not Hi Def cable we were somewhat let down. Just something to be aware of.

Some channels are better than others and dvds and his games are as vivid as we expected.

pigman

My son just got an LCD  HD tv. He has cable, but uses an antena to watch the network stations because it is clearer than the cable. It is because the cable and satalite companies compress the signal . My son says the smaller, under 35", sets are cheaper than the plasmas, but on the larger sets the plasmas are a better value. I am still using a 10 year old set that I will replace next year if not sonner.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Warbird

tcsmpsi

I was redoing our built in entertainment area/system a couple months ago and replacing all the old multitude of individual components with more functional, consolidated and working components.  Among all that was replacing the old sony tube tv with a new 27" LCD.   Satellite folks say they can't get a signal in the midst of all the trees, so we don't get any piped in tv.   We are quite pleased with the notable difference in our recorded productions, however.  Though, few are programed to reproduce on the 7.1 format, yet.  But, I'm ready when they do.   ;D

The LCD is certainly a lot more compact and lighter.  The daughter in Houston has a big plasma, and though it has a bigger picture, I don't seen any 'better' picture. 

But then, I'm still impressed with the fact they are in color.    ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Carries-Mom

We have a 42" LCD and love it!!!!  We don't have many hi def channels, but movies on DVD and blueray are awesome....we've heard too many bad things about plasma...We know people that have had a plasma for a couple of years now, and they had to replace their tv and went with LCD.  Plasma don't seem to last very long...We have another LCD 27" and never had problems with either.  Go for a decent brand name...not something you've never heard of... ;D ;D  Hope I helped!!

Snag

I agree with Warbird.  I was set on buying a plasma tv until I went to the store and compared all the plasma, LCD and DLP side by side and the ups and downs of each.  We have a new Sony 1080 DLP and its remarkable.

Patty

You really do not need a HD antennae to receive your local channels in HD. A regular antennae will work just dandy.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Burlkraft

How's the side angle view on DLP... ??? ??? ???   I've heard they are not as good as LCD's. I'm going to be in the market myself soon......
Why not just 1 pain free day?

firecord

I have a 42 inch Samsung DLP in the living room,  I love it!!  The colors are crisper in my opinion.  A word of warning though,  1 out of 100 people will see tracers with DLP!  Don't know why, but my neighbor only sees them on my DLP Tv.  I have a LCD hanging in my bedroom, not near the quality of my DLP!
Ricky

Carries-Mom

I've heard that with the DLP's also...  Anytime we wanted to look at one, the store never had them working...heard it was like the projection tv's with the not so clear side view....I haven't seen one, so I can't judge, but we do love our LCD.... 8) 8)

Warbird

DLP's do not have as good of a side-angle view as an LCD, however, you get a brighter, crisper picture.  Also, DLP's have a *much* higher 'recovery' rate.  Think of this as a refresh rate.  This means if you hook up a video game to the TV or have really fast moving show on, you might see artifacts on the LCD, whereas the DLP will play it much better.

One other thing about LCD flat panels versus DLP's...  for the same money, you get a much larger screen if you go with the DLP.  However, LCD flat panels (not LCD projection) are still very good.  If you don't want/need huge picture size, if you want to wall mount it, no light bulbs to possibly replace every 5 - 8 years, etc.

Both are great TV's but for the type of stuff I like using a TV for, the DLP wins out.

Warbird

ps. I'd stay away from plasma.  To answer your original question, if you are positive on either an LCD or a Plasma, go with the LCD.  Hands down.

Snag

I have never heard that side-view issue on the DLPs.  Maybe it varies by brand?  My Sony has excellent side viewing.  The one drawback for me with the DLP was it eliminated the ability to hang it on the wall as they are deeper.  No big deal though.  And yah, video games are amazing on it.  My kids play their Wii on it quite a abit.  Ever hear about the wii controllers flying off the players hand and smashing the tv screen?  Guess what, one went flying straight into the center of the brand new Sony DLP.  Nearly had a heart attack.  Bounced right off and zero mark on it.  whewwww

limbrat

After pricing the new tvs and the additional cost of a cable package i gave my libary card a firm mental hug. And decided to keep my funky old 26" and the two channels that the rabbit ears can pick up.
ben

firecord

Side view on my Samsung is no different than an old tube type TV.  It is clear from all angles.

Thank You Sponsors!