Quebecnewf

Such a nice day had to go sawing

We sawed up some real nice birch

White or Paper Birch
A real nice log

Here it is opened up it had some real nice ribbon figure in a few of the boards

Here is a nice larch on the rig

Here it is opened up some real nice boards came out of this log as well

Here is the pile of larch we sawed out of the nine logs we cut. You can the birch lumber piled in the background.
We dead stacked the larch and will sticker it outdoors for 6 weeks and then into the kiln. The birch goes into the kiln as soon as we get back to the mill maybe tomorrow

Here is the solar kiln it is now empty but not for long. I only hope I have enough room for it all

All in all a great day sawing

Quebecnewf

Papa1stuff

Sure is a pretty Birch log ,wish we had some down here ;D
I can bet it was pretty lumber!!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Magicman

Wow, I don't recall ever sawing a log as nice as that Birch.

Were those some logs that you felled this past Winter?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tyb525

Wow! That's a awesome birch! I bet it yielded a lot, I've read that oval logs tend to have a better yield than perfectly round ones.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Quebecnewf

winter is well over here now (see the water)

more pics to follow tomorrow when we stack the kiln full

Quebecnewf

Dodgy Loner

Wow, the figure in that birch is incredible! Not to mention the form! :o

A nice day indeed :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

northwoods1

What are you going to do with that wood ultimately? I have a hard time thinking that winter is over until the snow is gone :D and how do you remove the sawdust from your saw shed that looks like it would be tricky...

Quebecnewf

The wood will be used in the workshop I do woodworking as a hobby.

You can't see it in the pic but that sawdust sits in a trougth. There is a 12 ft long hinged hatch on the wall that the sawdust is piled up against. I just open the hatch and it all falls out into fishpans and we tow it of a spread it on the ground.

Quebecnewf

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Quebecnewf

Stickered the larch today. In 6 or 8 weeks it goes in the kiln

Nice lumber hope it turns out good when its dry.

Started loading birch into the kiln today but the rains came and we gave it up until abetter day

Quebecnewf

paul case

i like your use for slabs. neat idea. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I am glad that you explained that sawdust removal system.  I was feeling sorry for you having to shovel it out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

If you saw stationary, then sawdust management or the lack of it is a real pain.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup, and also slabs.  My limited amount of stationary sawing is generally in my Son's back yard.  My backhoe is there for unloading and for handling sawdust.  That stuff just won't disappear but thankfully his property drops off toward a RR ROW.  Slabs leave with the customer, but when I'm sawing for myself I have to be innovative.

thecfarm

Nice job with the stickers and nice foundation too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I sell them for $10 a pick-up truck load and they get gone.   But, I don't produce nearly as many as most of the Sawyers here.

Quebecnewf

I burn most of my slabs for firewood. Between my brothers , my father and my house and the workshop we use up most of them.

Not real good burning just fir and spruce mostly but they get the job done. I have a shed next to the mill that I fill up every fall and then I haul them home over the winter as needed and burn them up.

Just checking the tide schedule for the next few weeks to start planning my rafting trip to get the 400 logs home that i cut this winter. Hoping to launch my boat in the next week or so but if this rain don't let up it might be a month before I get it launched.

I have to install a new depth sounder and do spring painting so I need good weather.

Quebecnewf

isawlogs

That rain is really messing my schedual also.  :-\

What make is the mill, sure looks like a board master from here. That is a nice set up you have there , thanks for sharring the pics with us.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Cats Slabs for sale. $10  $8   $7   $4    $2   $1.50   Free

WDH

I found that if I put in an ad on Craigslist for free slabs, I get no response.  If I charge what seems like a very low price, I get calls  :).

timerover51

Quote from: WDH on May 04, 2011, 08:25:08 PM
I found that if I put in an ad on Craigslist for free slabs, I get no response.  If I charge what seems like a very low price, I get calls  :).

If you list if as "Free" the assumption people are going to make is that it is no good as it is not worth anything.  Put a price on it and the assumption is that it has some worth.  It would be interesting to see if what would happen if you took your price, boosted it by 50% and see how many buyers you get.

Quote from: Quebecnewf on May 04, 2011, 07:20:17 PM
Just checking the tide schedule for the next few weeks to start planning my rafting trip to get the 400 logs home that i cut this winter. Hoping to launch my boat in the next week or so but if this rain don't let up it might be a month before I get it launched.

I have to install a new depth sounder and do spring painting so I need good weather.

Quebecnewf

Based on where you are at, Quebecnewf, you must be rafting them in salt water.  Does that have any effect on the logs, or is the rafting too short for them to absorb any salt?  Do you loose any logs by sinking in the course of rafting them?

Lastly, what kind of echo sounder are you going to get?

Ianab

Quote from: WDH on May 04, 2011, 08:25:08 PM

Also - put them out with a sign that says "For Sale -$20"

Then someone will steal them.. Problem solved    :D

But I know what you mean. "Free" seems too good to be true. But a pickup load of firewood for $10 is a bargain.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

It sure is a bargain.  People leave feeling like they got a good deal, and I am OK with that. 

Magicman

If you could have seen the tears in that guy's eyes that was thanking me for FREE slabs on that cold January day, you would have said "Paid in Full".   :)

Thank You Sponsors!