iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brush saw blades

Started by rick f, April 26, 2011, 05:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

What do you guys that clear brush for a living use for blades on your brush saws?
Can a regular table saw blade be punched to be used on a brush saw?
Also is there a easy way to cut brush off and not have it tangle up in the shaft? I have thought about taking the guard off but I don't like that idea.

I'm clearing up a piece of Blueberry ground. The bigger bunches of gray and white birch (2" and up)get the chainsaw used on them. The smaller cherry, birch and maple i'm using my brush saw on. Like all good blueberry land it is rough and full on rocks so mowing them with a bush hop is not the answer.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

VT_Forestry

I can't speak for all brushcutters, but can say a few words about the Stihl FS450 that I'm familiar with.  I'm sure SwampDonkey will have much more insight on this subject  :)

We use the Stihl chisel tooth blades when cutting, they hold an edge for a long time and sharpen well and are good thick durable metal.  I would never want to trust a table saw blade to take the abuse that a brushcutter blade takes...they aren't rated for the RPMs and would probably shatter if you hit something solid with it.  I've never had a real problem with things getting wrapped up in the shaft, but I can tell you that on more than one occasion I was glad that the guard was there.  Those saws have a tendency to jump around when they get caught up in stuff, and without that guard on you're just asking for trouble.

Use a blade designed for brushcutting, and leave the guard on...that's my advice  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

SwampDonkey

The brush saw blades are way cheaper than table saw blades to begin with. But there are probably 3 different chisel tooth blades. There are 6" ones, then there are the 9" ones with two different sized mount holes. The smaller models of Stihl and I think the now top end Husky brush saw use the larger cutout hole. The pro model Stihl, the FS550 take the small cut outs. And when choosing the blade, look to see it's Swedish steal on the carton. Jap. steel is too soft to hold a good edge. Swedish steal in Windsor, Oregon, EMI, Stihl (Swede) are all the same. I wouldn't recommend removing the guard at all. Although, chances of injury from a properly harnessed brush saw is pretty low. Some modify the guard, but I won't say how. I have not had a big issue with brush in the guard. The biggest thing is to keep the RPM's up in the small brush and keep blades sharp. Also be aware that any tree or stump struck by the blade from 12:00 -3:00 O-Clock will result in a kick. The little stuff under 4" you won't notice that much, but you have less control from that quarter of the blade. So in maple clumps, cut from the left side of the blade or you might find yourself stuck in the stump on occasion. Hard on the clutch and shaft. It's best to thin out neighboring trees before cutting the clumps so the stuff falls in between. What model saw are you using? I'm sure a 400 series saw will cut anything up to 4-5 inches on the stump and the 500 series will go 6" or 7". Keep the blade sharp and the air filter cleaned daily, and keep an eye on the spark arestor to maintain performance. That saw should scream on full throttle and not bog out.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Streetmanray

Hey rick f this is what I've been using for the last couple of years.  They work great for me. Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3pk-CARBIDE-brush-cutter-Trimmer-Brushcutter-BLADES-8-/140339491694

SwampDonkey

You won't be cutting no 8" wood that they claim. They don't account for the angle gear in which the housing is wider than that cutout hole. First time you hit some mud and a rock or two and that's the end of the advantage. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rick f

Thanks guys for the info.
Swamp I've got a husky 235R. Had it about 12 years now don't use it much but good to have around.  I finished cutting the last of 6 ac. today. alot of chainsaw work cutting clump alders and bunches of maple. Now to try and get it chipped before I burn the land this weekend.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Ed_K

If you try to use a tablesaw blade,may sure it doesn't have the holes and slots for balancing.THEY will blow apart.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!