iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

With the cantilever head when you start sawing a large diameter log the head pull itself down 1/16th of an inch as it bites into the log. This is not sloppy it's just the way it saws.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

The rain stopped so I returned to the mill and finished milling the first then a 2nd 8' poplar log. Total output was 412 bf of mostly 2X4 and 1X12s. Finished the customer order for his 2X4s with several more for my stock use (probably end up mostly as sawhorses) and nearly half his 1X12s. The next log up is 16' then some 12' 2X12s and 2X6 and a few 4X4s.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Roundhouse

Quote from: Timster on May 25, 2016, 08:02:04 PM
Like a proud father.

Thanks for the pics! Great to see a HM130 at work. Mine is still in the garage. I'm trying really hard to be patient. I have a trailer on order, it gets here in two weeks, then it's back to building. It's probably going to be a month or more before I'm milling until then it's a matter of reading here, planning and dreaming.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

plowboyswr

Roundhouse,  happy birthday!  8)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Chuck White

Happy Birthday Roundhouse!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishfighter

Been working on the camp and felling trees, stacking logs. Been way to wet to get any logs, so that is why I'm doing it now.

grouch

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 26, 2016, 04:51:52 PM
With the cantilever head when you start sawing a large diameter log the head pull itself down 1/16th of an inch as it bites into the log. This is not sloppy it's just the way it saws.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers, I put a load of sarcasm in my reply to Magicman about that 1/16 inch. It was just a way to express my awe at the engineering. (If you detected a load of anything else in there, please blame it on those free range cattle I've read about). Sorry if my poor communication skills failed to convey that properly.

When I was researching to build a sawmill I noted the Wood-Mizer cantilever head, but quickly dismissed that as being far beyond my TLAR (That Looks About Right) "engineering" abilities. I couldn't fit it into the farmboy mantra either: "When in doubt, built it stout, out of things you know about". All I know about cantilevers is that they require math and understanding of materials that I don't have.

Take a 10' piece of schedule 40, 2" (nominal) pipe. Support that at both ends and I'll happily and confidently put 1000 lbs of evenly distributed load on it. For a point load, I'd start getting gentle and cautious at around 300 lbs. Take away one end support and the capacity of that pipe drops to something like 15% or 16% (can't remember exactly). Make it a point load at the end and it's down to about 80 lbs!

Building codes are very strict about cantilevers, e.g., for decks and balconies (done carpentry most of my adult life). It's usually much easier to just put posts under the thing. Cantilever bridges of any material therefore simply amaze me.

It would be tough enough to hang the mass of that bandsaw head off to the side of a stationary post. Wood-Mizer does that with a carriage that has to move smoothly, meaning there has to be some clearance, and precisely and quickly. Beyond that, it has to be predictably repeatable while ripping a log! If I remember correctly, it takes about 5 times as much power to rip as to crosscut.  I can't even guess what kind of torque is being applied to that rail when the teeth start into a log.

And now you guys tell me they do this with only 1/16" of pre-load(?) needed. Oh yeah, and it's gotta do this after bouncing down the highway at 55 or more and maybe jumping and bumping through the woods to get to the logs. Awestruck. Jaw-dropping awesome.

I meant no offense, Jim_Rogers.

My apologies to everyone, and especially Magicman (it's his thread), for going off-topic but I've seen Jim_Rogers' work and willingness to share what he knows and learns everywhere I've read on the Forestry Forum. I sure don't want him annoyed with me and felt the above apology should be public.
Find something to do that interests you.

Magicman

Quote from: grouch on May 27, 2016, 12:10:51 PMMy apologies to everyone, and especially Magicman (it's his thread)
Nope, it ain't my thread since I asked the question Whatcha Sawin' ??  It is directed to everyone that wants to share their sawing activity as well as sharing some of their technical knowledge and experience that will help someone else along with their sawmilling activities.   :)

Actually the WM sawmill head is resting in it's "parked" position when traveling as I suspect every manufacturer's is.  There are still 4 "posts" or points of weight carrying support on the LT40 and similar sawmills.  Two are on the rod that is welded to the top and two are on the rod that is welded to the bottom of the support beam.  There is a set of cam followers in each of these 4 positions.  The questioned 1/16" is to compensate for the torque that is exerted when the clutch is engaged.  It is amazingly consistent.

I have never been offended whatsoever by any question and tend to seriously answer them to the best of my ability and knowledge, even if they are asked in a jokingly manner.  There is always someone whether it be a FF member or a guest reader that is looking for that answer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cazzhrdwd

What's been truly great about the Woodmizer for the 20 years I've owned one is the customer support. Even today they will help me through any issue about the mill.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

tule peak timber

Monkey puzzle logs- something different for us here. The second log I'm donating to a Vet's turning group to help them out. Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tnaz

Monkey puzzle logs- The second log I'm donating to a Vet's turning group to help them out. Rob

Pretty wood and Great to good/help the Veterans. 8)

Happy Memorial Day.

Terry

tule peak timber

Thanks , and to all other Vets past and present, the same. Rob

Upper

I also have a Monkey Puzzle that needs to meet the mill,cant wait....Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

4x4American

Grouch if it makes ya feel any better I was pickin up what you were puttin down
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

Monkey puzzle log?? And that is with no finish on it?? Wow!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roundhouse

Quote from: Chuck White on May 27, 2016, 06:27:39 AM
Happy Birthday Roundhouse!
Thanks guys, it was real when I came to the FF and my age-o-meter had clicked up a notch overnight. The "present to myself" this year is my new mill, the FF has provided a lot of insight into that process and I'm grateful to everyone here. I can't wait to see what I make in the next year when I can throw my 2 cents into this Sawin' thread.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

tule peak timber

Mixed loads that came in this week. Monkey puzzle, Pondersoa and Sugar pines, Live and Black oaks,Walnut, Doug Fir, Cedar, Cyprus, Carob, Pink Iron Bark and Mesquite. A lot of timber came in, oddball stuff, this week.  Rob

fishfighter

That is some big ones there. What kind of mill you have to saw them?

My little wack of oak and syp doesn't  compare. ;D

I do have some more that I need to move over to this pile.

tule peak timber

We use a Lucas slabber and a Woodschmoozer Lt 70 wide. Rob

Magicman

Rob, some of those make my eyes hurt.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

LOL...I'm spending some time today trying to figure out some straight lines in these chicken wings and dog legs. :D

grouch

tule peak timber: If I had one of those monsters... I'd have to just admire it as it slowly turned to compost. Beautiful stuff in that monkey puzzle! Hope you post pictures of the inside of that gnarly looking thing in your 3rd picture.

Too many hours yesterday at too many things, so I didn't post. Some of those hours were milling though!

The last log of that maple was the straightest, most uniform log I've had on the mill yet. Thought about trying my hand at quarter sawing but decided it wasn't big enough.

Do these tears mean I've pushed my Kasco blade beyond its optimum cutting life?

Didn't see any sign that this knot was in there. Earlier, WDH posted a link to a defects page that named and explained this, but I forgot.

Almost birdseye?

Hoping this will jump out a little when planed:

Is this the ambrosia I've seen mentioned or something else?

I have to go back and see what WDH said these yellow squiggles are, fungus I think
[Edit: found it , he said it's from insects feeding on the sap]:

The black gunk is just dust, soapy water and whatever was rubbing off the blade:

Ended up with 1 narrow board, 1 thin board, 1 thick board and the rest 1x8s, about 50 bf (total for the tree about 320):

Tried to make some stickers out of a limb, but I think it may just be kindling:

Oh, and close, but no sparks:

Find something to do that interests you.

paul case

Grouch,
I can't get over how much your maple looks like our hickory in your pictures.
Good sawing anyhow. You're going to have to get over being grouchy and learn how to sharpen your bands.  ;D
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Quote from: grouch on May 28, 2016, 01:25:35 PMTried to make some stickers out of a limb, but I think it may just be kindling:
Just as information, you never want to use a sticker that has any bark on it.  Insects love that slick cambium layer.

WDH

Quote from: grouch on May 28, 2016, 01:25:35 PM
Is this the ambrosia I've seen mentioned or something else?

Yes, those are ambrosia streaks. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!