iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ebay Canada

Started by timberfaller390, July 21, 2009, 11:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

I just bid on an item on ebay that is in canada. I have not won the item yet. It weighs about 45 pounds. I have emailed the seller and we figured out that shipping would be about 80 dollars. I am fine with the 80 bucks shipping but a friend told me today that it could cost ALOT in taxes to get my package here. Is that true and if so how much is alot. I dont want my $150.00 treasure to end up costing me a few hundred to get here.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Jeff

Pretty sure that only applies when you are shipping TO Canada, but I could be wrong.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

We pay a goods tax (GST) on the declared item value. On many used items I've bought I was never charged. They convert to Canada $ first, then apply the tax. On most items the tax submission is volunteer if the item is not valued by the seller. How many volunteer? :D

I would think on large items of significant value that your government would be collecting tax, but maybe it's volunteered as well. I bet they collect it if your personally crossing a US port of entry. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

It depends what it is and where it's made.

Search online for "customs, import duty" something like that and read the pdf to find the item and the amount of tax.

Most of the entries I saw the tax was 2.6%.
I'm pretty sure you'll be OK. Make sure to heavily insure it as lots of things get lost crossing that border.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

John Bartley

Quote from: timberfaller390 on July 21, 2009, 11:00:38 PM
I just bid on an item on ebay that is in canada. I have not won the item yet. It weighs about 45 pounds. I have emailed the seller and we figured out that shipping would be about 80 dollars. I am fine with the 80 bucks shipping but a friend told me today that it could cost ALOT in taxes to get my package here. Is that true and if so how much is alot. I dont want my $150.00 treasure to end up costing me a few hundred to get here.

I don't believe that it's going to cost you anything other than whatever taxes you would have paid if you'd bought it locally (and maybe not even that). I've shipped plenty of stuff south (mostly antique radios and parts), and there have never been any unusual charges.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

woodmills1

I was once billed for extra shipping by UPS for an item shipped from Canada.  I argued that i was not their customer and they removed the charge, they said as a I time curtesy
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sawdust

I have discovered that I can mail things to the USA by Canada Post faster and cheaper than by courier. I mail my dovetail jigs, there is no customs or duty involved. Using the courier, they brokered it for me and charged lots though there was no customs or duty assesed.

david
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

SwampDonkey

UPS is about the worst way to ship in Canada, they'll charge over $50 fuel sir charge on a $100 item on top of shipping already paid.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberfaller390

The Item is an antique jackleg drill from a gold mine, vintage 1920's. My winning bid was $5.00 plus $77.00 shipping and that's the only amount I have been told I owe.  8)
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

John Bartley

Quote from: timberfaller390 on July 23, 2009, 09:05:50 AM
The Item is an antique jackleg drill from a gold mine, vintage 1920's.

I'd like to see the eBay auction - can you give us the item number? I spent a bit of time behind jackleg and long tom drills and underneath the odd stoper drill about 30 years ago - worked in Timmins - Pamour Porcupine and DomeMines. I still have my scaling bar - they just don't sell pry bars like that in the hardware stores around here.....

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

SwampDonkey

Good pry bars here walked off with rail road crew men.  :D

timberfaller390

yeah I will look it up and post the number for you. This thing is pretty cool. Like I said It is vintage 1920's or 30's and is supposed to work. Does any body know if this rig will use the same drilling steel as a modern machine.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!