iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 034 av Vs husky 55

Started by montreal, August 07, 2015, 01:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montreal

gday forumer's,i recently got a lot of good  034 info/specs from many of u & then decided to take the plunge & paid top $ for a 034 from ebay that was meant to be faultless & rebilt by an ex stihl mechanic with 60 day warranty.upon saws arrival it wasnt to hard to see why he was an ex if ever a stihl mech.air clnr had holes,bar dodgy, oil cap leaks which was enough to get the alarm bells fairly ding dongin.took it to the local stihl bloke & after pulling muffler off he could see major scoring on piston & cyl...he reckons b cause of pretty tidy outer its prob worth about $100-150 as it is then about $450-600[aussie $]to rebuild properly..mmmm what id do to have a chance to rebuild the seller PROPERLY[havnt got his address & having troubles getting old mate to return calls /messages, what a surprise].Anyway hopefully i can run him to ground & get a refund??bcause of the bad taste in my mouth im just wanting to double check with u blokes that have used both saws [034av/husky55]is assuming i can get my hands on a decent 034 or if im stuck with thisn & rebuild it am i going to really notice the difference in performance that im looking for from my ever reliable little 55[i think its the 53 cc version]cheers Mon

ScottInCabot

If you paid the auction via PayPal, then simply file the claim against the 'seller' as item not received as described....  Don't worry too much, because the buyer is 'always right' at evilBay/PayPal even when they are not...you'll get a full refund(not sure about the postage though).

Too bad, those 034's are fun saws.....

ScottinCabot
Timber framing RULES!

montreal

thanks for your reasurance Scottincabot,unfortunately its a little more complicated than that,to cut a long story short i did all the dumb things like direct bank transfer etc etc ie ive been suckered but ive still got an iron or 2 in the fire so will see...cheers

sawguy21

Welcome to the joys of on line buying. You pay your money you take your chances. You could probably get him flagged by e-bay to prevent further sales but that is about all. Chalk it up to the cost of learning.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Those really aren't comparable, the 034 is larger, stronger, and heavier.
Information collector.

Al_Smith

I've honestly done pretty good on flea bay saws .However my best deals have came from private sales via a few forums and from the "dead" pile at a local Stihl dealer .So far I have hauled at least 10 good runners from that guy and some needed nothing but a few little bit of work .The most I ever paid was 50 bucks .

Fact the 034 super on my bench I haven't had the time to work on was 50 and maybe an additional 40 for parts .It runs I just need to pull the cylinder and Scotch Brite the exhaust side of the piston,a tad slightly toasted from a restrictive muffler .--it won't be when I get through with it -- ;)

montreal

yep Sawguy,sometimes you have to pay for an education i spose,i generally find if i can talk by ph with sellers 95%of the time i can pick them,he's a real 5%er amongst other things.ebay r gonna check him out & if he dosnt come good in a week or so the cops r going to look into it..but i know my chances arnt brilliant by a long shot.Sawtroll the specs i have have them weighing about the same??they feel similar to pickup.i havnt put a 034 too work yet but im hoping that it is a similar weight/sized saw with a fair bit more cut to it?or in other words a pro saw against semi pro[landowner] or am i on the wrong track here??

clww

Sorry for the OP problems with on-line purchases, but I've bought saws on ebay, too, all with good results. I think these are all that I can think of: 08S, 028, 034, 056, 084, and 090. Several bars and chains as well.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

montreal

ive had a lot more good ebay deals than bad,its just a bummer that this was one of the more valuble purchases ive done,maybe i need to stick to pocket knives...less moving parts 

Thank You Sponsors!