iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduce myself

Started by irvi00, November 22, 2012, 08:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irvi00

Hello all, my name is Allen Irvin. Been a member for a little while and have been reading as much as possible here. I have posted a few things and realized maybe I should introduce myself and give a little background. I'm a third generation sawmiller, my grandfather operated three portable mills and owned a cotton gin here in White county Georgia. My father started about 45 years ago with an 0 frick mill. I worked on that mill in my youth doing everything from turning logs to off bearing. About 18 years ago my father bought an Edmiston hydraulic mill and after a stint of being a paramedic I have joined him now. We have joined up with two of my cousins to form Irvin Lumber Company. We have two sawmills and a Newman planer. My cousins mill is idle now due to the economic conditions. My bread and butter has become color enhanced mulch using the wood chips produced from the mill and our trim saws. Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say that this forum is great! I've already learned a great deal from here. I want to learn more on the small band mills because I'm interested in a side project sawing out "niche" products. So, "Hello All Yall!"

Jasperfield

Hello, Allen,

Sounds like you're doing OK with your business.

Cleveland is a pretty place. I used to come down there and buy trucks at Jackie Jones'. As I recall there's quite a bit of pine there and lots of forest product activity between you and Clarksville.

Keep us posted!

irvi00

Hi Jasper! Yes there used to be a lot of milling activity here but over the years it has dwindled down to about four of now. And one of those has moved towards a shaving business and idled their lumber side. I guess its do what ya have to do. I've done a lot of business myself with Jackie Jones, good,honest man.

Magicman

Thanks for the nice intro.  The more that is known about our sawing/milling interest as well as our locations, the easier is is for others to identify and offer advice as well as a "shoulder" when one is needed.   :)

Profiles showing equipment and locations makes helping easier.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Welcome Allen. The wife and I enjoy going up to Helen about 2-3 times a year so I might have to pop in and meet you.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

irvi00

Most likely you have driven right past the mill! We are on duncan bridge road on the way to helen. Drop in anytime!

Ga Mtn Man

Hi Allen and welcome to The Forestry Forum.  I'm not far from you, just north of Turner's Corner.  I've bought mulch from y'all on a number of occasions.  I'll try to stop by and introduce myself next time I'm out that way. 

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: irvi00 on November 25, 2012, 09:14:20 AM
Most likely you have driven right past the mill! We are on duncan bridge road on the way to helen. Drop in anytime!

Welcome Irvi00 to the forum.

And to all my Georgia friends, I knew it.....I knew it......I knew there was Helen Georgia!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Quote from: Jasperfield on November 22, 2012, 08:29:40 PM

Cleveland is a pretty place.

I thought Jasperfield had lost his mind for a moment, then realized he was NOT talking about Ohio.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

irvi00

Anyone is welcome to stop by. Like I said, my main business is the mulch products. Been having a rough time with my grinder here lately, been but 4 weeks, 3 grand and a lot of foul language later I hope to be back up and running this week. Been having issues with the "perkapillar" engine and Cat wont take any responsibility for it so I had to get creative. Gamtnman, I would really like to see your mill run sometime, Im interested in the horizontal band mills. Just maybe somethin to keep my dad busy during downtime.

Thank You Sponsors!