iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Confusion on Bar Length

Started by JohnB, November 23, 2021, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnB

New participant.  I'm a land owner, and ex-farmer, and I'm logging, clearing and maintaining the land, and cutting firewood for personal use.  I currently have a Stihl 026 with 16" bar, a Stihl 041 AV with 20" bar, and just purchased a new Husqvarna 550 XP Mark II with a 20" bar.  Just currious about cutting length, also referred to as "called length".

I just checked a few old post on bar length, and I'm not alone with confusion between manufacturers.  Measured from tip of bar to clutch cover, my Stihl's are a true 16" and 20" cutting lengths.  The Husqvarna measures only 18 3/4".  Part numbers list the Husqvarna bar and chain (H25) as 20" components.  Odd that neither dealer or Husqvarna Support were aware of this measurement.  Research says measure from tip of bar to clutch cover.  If a fractional length (e.g. 18 3/4"), go up to nearest even number... 20".  Don't know the rational for that, but, whatever.

By the way, on first use, the Husqvarna 550 is a dream compared to my heavy, old Stihl 041. 

lxskllr

Welcome! I haven't paid too much attention to bar length. I checked one of my Stihls once just for kicks, and I came up with about the right measurement(25"), but I can't remember what it was to. Probably the power head. Drivelink count is what really matters, and there's sometimes a little flexibility with that.

Thank You Sponsors!