iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tachometer for chain saws

Started by JD Guy, March 13, 2024, 01:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Guy

My hearing is really bad and in order to keep what little I have left I need to tune saws with hearing protection. That prevents me from hearing the subtle changes from too lean too rich. I only need this for my use and for my two sons saws. Anyone with some first hand experience that could make some recommendations?
Thanks Much!

doc henderson

not me, but I want to follow along!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

You could buy one of the aftermarket tachs that you wrap a sensor wire around the sparkplug wire.  This is kind of problematic in that most plugs are now under covers so you can use the saw in the elements.  

Another solution is to have your son learn how to do it. Just sayin.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

bluthum

I have one of those that you have to wrap the wire around the plug wire units. Works great, inexpensive but not easy to use. Besides taking the cover off the saw and routing the wire back out [I always replace the cover before the test in the assumption that the cover needs to be on for an accurate read which is an assumption] you have to secure the tach so it can be read while revving the saw. I use a piece of heavy copper wire wrapped aroud the tach and the saw handle. Once all that's accomplished you're all set and ready to go. Could be a different model has better set up for securing but for the very occasional user like me it's great. 

Actually it's fun to watch the scale respond to your carb screw turning and I've much more confidence in the read out than my ears.

DHansen

I have this unit and it is very easy to use. 

DHansen

JDGuy, I see these have gone up in price.  I see $100.00 and $145.00 U.S. at some suppliers.  Not sure about other options.  But this one has been very solid for me and easy to use.  

Dave Shepard

That's the one you want. .5 second refresh rate. Others are much longer, and supposedly not safe for testing chainsaws, as in you've already burned it up before you get a reading.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JD Guy

Quote from: DHansen on March 13, 2024, 08:53:46 PMJDGuy, I see these have gone up in price.  I see $100.00 and $145.00 U.S. at some suppliers.  Not sure about other options.  But this one has been very solid for me and easy to use. 
Thank You! Is this one wireless? I believe I would prefer that as I don't think it then has to be mounted to the saw and could be close.

DHansen

This one is wireless.  It is inductive and just has to be within a few inches of the power head.  It also comes with a wire clip if you wish to use the wire adapter to the spark plug wire.  Those photos I posted were with the saw running and the unit set on the upper cover.  Me holding the tachometer with one hand and the throttle trigger with the other hand.  I'm sure you could zip tie it to the handle also.

JD Guy

John Mc

I have the same one that DHanson showed. Had it for years, and it works well. THere are a ton of similar tachs out there, but some have a refresh rate that is way too slow and/or their max RPM is far too low for chainsaw use.

Here is where I got mine:
https://www.amickssuperstore.com/DTI_2_Cycle_Two_Stroke_Hand_Held_Tachometer_p/dti%20tech-tach%20tt-20k%20tach.htm
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Gearbox

look on Amazon for less than 35 bucks you can get one that you just hold by the spark plug . I have bought 5 to give away keep one for myself .They come with a full set of screw driver tools .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

John Mc

Quote from: Gearbox on March 20, 2024, 08:21:52 PMlook on Amazon for less than 35 bucks you can get one that you just hold by the spark plug . I have bought 5 to give away keep one for myself .They come with a full set of screw driver tools .
Have you actually used one of them on a chainsaw? I have a $35 tach on a 4 cycle Briggs engine and it works fine for that use, but that engine won't rev over 3600 RPM. The response time on my cheap tach is slow, and the maximum RPM is FAR below what is needed for use with a chainsaw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Gearbox

John Mc I have used to tune my saws 372xp 394  359 361 Stihl and one of the Stihl auto tune at 13400 at 40 degrees and the same at 75 degrees . I didn't notice any lag I even used it and the tools to tune my leaf blower 
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!