iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Counting on the Rule of 3s

Started by SawyerTed, March 22, 2024, 04:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

The old folks used to say life events and happenings occur in groups of 3.

Right now I'm counting on it!

Sunday pulling the camper home from a nice long weekend, a wheel bearing went bad on the camper.  As we made a right turn, the wheel and hub fell off completely.  

Well the camper is fixed.  Luckily, the camper broke down within a block of an RV repair shop.  They were nice enough to allow me to leave it there until I got parts.   I fixed it yesterday and towed it home without incident. 

Monday, the washer decided to quit draining and spinning.  I started with the simple and worked my way to the complex doing my trouble shooting.  Turns out the main control board has quit.  Ordered a new washer this morning, the control board is enough money that it's just not worth fixing even though the washer isn't very old.

This morning our heat pump isn't working.  I did all the typical homeowner troubleshooting stuff and a couple of things to diagnose the problem.  No dice, had to call the HVAC tech/former student who I taught 30 years ago.  He's coming this weekend.  

I'm ready for a break from breakdowns!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

well at least you have good personal knowledge and ability as well as contact with guys at the next level! could be worse!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

Be careful. Leap years can throw that rule of 3 off I have found  :uhoh:
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 21incher on March 22, 2024, 05:41:50 PMBe careful. Leap years can throw that rule of 3 off I have found  :uhoh:.
ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy :thumbsup: rayrock
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

rusticretreater

There's a rule of threes? I have been dealing with the rule of fives all my life! Violin_smiley
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

WV Sawmiller

I feel for you. I hate it when I have those days where every thing I touch seems to break. Makes me scared to even go to the bathroom. :uhoh: :uhoh:

Hopefully the HVAC will be a simple and cheap fix.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Oh man I've been there! 

I remember when I worked on a paving crew, I was known to be fairly level headed and to not make big mistakes often. But when I screwed up, look out because there'd be one or two more coming right down the line!🤦It was like I needed to get a few years worth of screw ups out all at once.

Ted, I really detest those circuit board failures. Like you, I've found it usually makes more sense (and cents) to replace the unit.
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

I get really scared and careful when 2 things break on the same morning.

doc henderson

yes, and occasionally you get 3 sets of 3.  At my work you then get the designation of crap magnet!...  something like that. :wink_2:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

You know it's not that these things break that's frustrating.  And it isn't the time, although I can think of better things to do! 

It's the dang money!  The camper repair cost $300 ish in parts (including replacement bearings for the other 3 spindles), $25 in supplies - parts cleaner, shop towels, hand cleaner, grease etc AND I had to buy a tap and die set with a 1-14 die to clean up the spindle threads $97. 

The washer is north of $700 for what Emily wanted/expected/ required...and it's just a top load standard washing machine 

Who knows what the heat pump repair will cost.  My friend usually cuts me a deal and the thing is under warranty.  So there's that.  Still will be at least $200.  

It's been an expensive week.  Lucky for me  they give me more money every month...
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: moodnacreek on March 23, 2024, 09:22:08 AMI get really scared and careful when 2 things break on the same morning.
Not me. i hate the suspense. Lets just get it over with. smiley_furious smiley_crying
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

SawyerTed

Well, all-in-all it didn't turn out too painful.  My glass is now "half-full" and will soon "runneth over" again I'm sure.

The RV shop where the camper stayed Sunday - Thursday had very friendly folks there.  They offered any help they could provide and did not charge a storage fee as some might have done.  I will consider patronizing their business in the future. 

The heat pump/AC issue turned out to be an internal fuse in the air handler.  My buddy didn't charge me anything and we had an hour or so to catch up on family and friends.  He didn't charge us anything but knows we will be calling the next time.

The big hit is the washing machine - even though I've ordered the new one I've continued to look for the control board.  The kicker is online it's $125 but out of stock.  Anybody that has one locally wants twice that for it and they want to install it!  So, it's 50 - 50.  Spend $300-400 on fixing the washer or replace it for $150 more + tax, delivery and installation.  We've got a grandchild coming in a few weeks so the washer will be getting some additional work since Emily is going to keep the baby when our son and DIL go back to work.

barbender

I'd get the new one🤷 Maybe if there is a chance of a new board becoming available online anytime soon, you could replace that and sell the used machine. I Haye just throwing stuff like that away, but they can become a real time sink.
Too many irons in the fire

47sawdust

You have to be willing to take the risk when doing your own appliance repair.
The DMI board went on our LG TV that we bought from Sears.It was under warranty but they didn't have a service person within 300 miles.Great! My wife and I found a replacement board and installed it ourselves.We cancelled the warranty and got our money back.
We also have Fisher and Paykel dishwasher that is made in New Zealand.It has been a very good unit.The control board on it died and is no longer available.A thorough search of the internet and I was lucky to find a NOS in Florida.
We have been lucky so far.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

rusticretreater

What is your washer brand and model?  I often have to dig deep for auto parts and stuff, so I like to think I can find anything.  
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Rhodemont

I am a rule of 3's guy.  Funny how that type thing gets ingrained in to a generation or two.  My kids know about it from my crying 2...1 more to go.  But I doubt it is a regular thought out there with the younger generations.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

SawyerTed

maple flats

It's always good when you need help to call on someone who you know was properly trained. You did that
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

rusticretreater

@SawyerTed

https://www.tribles.com/lookup/294155/2257482#parts

This will give you the parts diagram for Controls & Backsplash.  I believe you are looking for #35: WH22x35597 which supersedes WH18X28642.   In the box for 35 click on the part number which takes you to https://www.tribles.com/parts/GE_WH22X35597. $145.83

$170.99
https://www.allstarapplianceparts.com/ge-washing-machine-control-board-wh22x35597/
If you visit this page and scroll down, you will find your model washer in the compatibility list

https://www.deyparts.com/product/inv_WH22X35597 $191.52
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

SawyerTed

Excellent!  

Emily and I just talked about fixing the old one and putting it in the basement for work clothes.

SawyerTed

Camper, washer, heat pump all good!  In the rear view..

HEARD this John Prine song this morning...I've heard it many many times.  I HEARD IT this morning.

I'll leave to John...

https://youtu.be/PnMNBTc1DQU?si=uNjzBZVDJYILj_8R

Thank You Sponsors!