iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Texas Style BBQ

Started by Qweaver, December 05, 2014, 10:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

For my 70th BDay I smoked 3 briskets in a borrowed pit that I could not keep the temp below 300 and often even hotter.  The meat was OK but mainly over cooked and dry.   As a vocational welding instructor for 25 years in Texas, I've helped my students design and build many a BBQ pit.  It's time to cut, fit and weld again. 

I have a good pit that I left in Texas but it would take more time and money to go down there and get it than to just build another one here.  So I've been collecting parts and I have everything that I need now. 
I got a 10' x 26" piece of pipe for $70, a 4'x 8' x 3/8 plate for $120, a 2' x 10' galvanized grate for $25  and enough steel and axles  to build the trailer for it to set on for about $200.  Less than the cost of fuel to make the round trip.

I recently closed in one of my 12' x 30' shed bays so I will have a warm place to give birth to this meat machine this winter.  Planning a big cook off at the break of spring...or maybe before.  Now I just have to find some mesquite. I may have a friend stowaway some on a hotshot coming this way.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Skidder Kev

Did someone say BBQ!    Sounds like a fun project,  can't wait to see the finished product.

thurlow

AWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!   You've used the words BBQ, smoked, pit, brisket, cook-off, etc in the same sentence.  Thanks to Sam Walton (and others), I thought that portions of dead pigs were available most everywhere.  :D :D :D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

sandhills

food6  Be sure and take pictures as you go  ;)

pappy19

Home Depot usually has big sacks of mesquite chunks for less than $20. I use them all the time.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

caveman

Qweaver,
Will you have a separate fire box or will it be inside the pipe on one or both ends?  I cook ribs, butts and chickens quite a bit and would love to become proficient at cooking brisket but beef is too expensive for me to practice on.  I look forward to seeing your final product.  Until recently, my students (Ag) usually built three smokers a year.  Last year they only built one.  We sell them to help pay for other stuff for the kids. 

Caveman
Caveman

pine

Quote from: Qweaver on December 05, 2014, 10:33:01 PM

I got a 10' x 26" piece of pipe for $70, a 4'x 8' x 3/8 plate for $120, a 2' x 10' galvanized grate for $25  and enough steel and axles  to build the trailer for it to set on for about $200.
Quinton

Wish I could find 3/8 plate at that price around hear and the 26" pipe as well.

Sounds like a fun project and even better eating when you are done.  Would worry a bit about the galvanized grate.

sandhills

I was going to ask about the galvanized, but would a smoker get hot enough to do anything with it?

luvmexfood

Qweaver. I agree with pine about the galvanized grate.

Caveman, back when I was in school around 79 wood stoves were becoming real popular. I was in welding class half a day. The school got a local company to donate new sheets of steel and we welded up a bunch and sold them. Made enough money to take a trip to the other side of the state for the school to compete in a competion.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Qweaver on December 05, 2014, 10:33:01 PMNow I just have to find some mesquite. I may have a friend stowaway some on a hotshot coming this way.

Quinton

Mr Qweaver, you are in the middle of Hickory and Oak country. Please give some of the local smoking woods a try, you might be pleasantly surprised! ;D

When in Rome, roam around.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Qweaver

I bought all of the pipe, plate and grate used.  I had the trailer material on hand and bought long ago. 
I really miss the availability of free materials from the plants and shipyards that I had in Texas.  Plus I could buy new structural steel for @ 19 cents a pound.  Not today in rural West Virginia.  But I can usually get what I need at the scrap yards...but I'm paying about 20 cents for used but good.  The grate was like new.  I've  always used galvanized grate.  We cook on SS, copper, Al, cast iron, etc.  How would zinc be any different?  The grate will be coated after the first use anyway.  I always "season" the pit with a heavy smoke burn before I use it.  The interior gets completely coated.  Zinc melts at @ 800 F.  Far above my cooking temps.

My pit will have a fire box on one end for indirect cooking and charcoal can be used under the grate for grilling.  I keep the heat below 212 and cook long cook times for big hunks of meat.  I have several big 1st place trophies saying that I know how to cook brisket.  My pit that I left in Texas was built to look like a steam train complete with a 6 note whistle using compressed air, cow catcher and conductor cab.   This one will be similar.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

Mr Qweaver, you are in the middle of Hickory and Oak country. Please give some of the local smoking woods a try, you might be pleasantly surprised! ;D

Jon
[/quote]
I've used oak and hickory.  Oak is OK but very mild, Hickory is too strong and Mesquite wins trophies.  I usually used well seasoned Oak and add a few sticks of Mesquite now and then.  I cook for 12 to 14 hours and wrap and add a can of beer after about 8 hours.  My rub is a secret.  :D

Weekend_Sawyer

You just made my mouth water! :D

And I agree, you have to be careful with Hickory, too much can make your grilling bitter.

Jon

luvmexfood

Qweaver. Try some apple if you can get it and it the spring when the sap is up maple is pretty good.

I looked up your town to see where it was in WV. Was going to volunteer to come and do a taste test for you the first time you smoke with it but it is too far. I can be in Bluefield WV in about an hour but not that far. Good luck with your project.

Qweaver

Here are the plans for the WV meat machine.  It'll take about a week to build with trailer.   Lots of small parts to make slows down the build.   More time required to make it look like a train but I'll burn some brisket as soon as its able.  It's not shown on the plan but I do weld a baffle, top and bottom, between the fire box and cooker

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Qweaver

Quote from: Magicman on December 06, 2014, 10:21:33 PM
Quote from: Qweaver on December 06, 2014, 01:09:43 PMMy rub is a secret.  :D
Why a secret?   smiley_headscratch
Well now that I no longer cook in cookoffs, it does not need to be a secret.    Brown sugar, salt peter, black and red pepper, garlic, salt and rub enough in until you think it's ruined...then add some more.  Cook below 200 and for a long time.

Magicman

Thanks for sharing with your FF friends. smiley_thumbsup 

Of course one trick used by savvy cooks is to not include the amounts or to "accidentally" leave out one key ingredient.   :P    :D

Qweaver

I got everything organized this AM, leveled and laid out the pipe, cutout for the fire box, laid out the plate pieces , cut out the fire box top and knocked off for lunch and football.  I believe I could have got it all cut and tacked up but for the football.  Tomorrow!  I discovered one thing...the old gray mare does not cut as straight as it used to!   :o   

luvmexfood

Just look at it this way. The steel is your paper, the torch is your pencil and that grinder is the eraser. ;D

Qweaver

I thought I would be posting a welded up BBQ shell this eve... But that bent up piece of pipe nearly ate my lunch today.  I sure miss my fab shop in Texas.  I spent half the day making tools to lay out circles and move that out of round pipe to match the round circles that I cut.  :D  But the ends are on, baffle welded in and  firebox top welded on.   It should go faster tomorrow.  I've always worked in a completely equipped shop and not having all the toys is not much fun.

Weekend_Sawyer

I am watching with interest.

I like to look in the background of pictures, tell us about that old car in the background.
And is that a mig welder to the left. Is that what you are using to make this project?

thanks
Jon

Qweaver

The car is a MGTD kit car that I put together at least 25 years ago.  Rebuilding it this winter after a salt bath in hurricane Ike.  I'm using my buzz box to weld up the BBQ.    Finished the BBQ shell today.  I'll put it on legs  and cut out and hinge the doors tomorrow.  Every thing went much better today.  I have not done any fab work in a long time and the quality of the fitting and welds show it.  Plenty strong...just not as pretty as I'd like. You would not guess that this work was done by a welder with over 40 years of certified experience.  It will cook meat OK but I'd hate to give it an xray and hydro.   :o   Pictures tomorrow and meat cooking this weekend.

Thank You Sponsors!