iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Burls

Started by Harry George, December 17, 2013, 09:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I did not measure it, but you nailed the size very well.  It was near a sawing site and I forgot to ask the customer/landowner about it.  I'll ask about it when I see him again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Nice thread. I sold a whole cherry burl that was about 24" in diameter for $100 a few months ago. I guess if I get one again I will cut it up and anchorseal it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Biocmp

Just speaking from the interaction I've had with a few woodworkers, I would think sawing 4/4 "planks" would get the most bang for your buck. Are burls prone to movement? If so, maybe it'd be better to focus on getting a few rift saw planks?  Even 6" wide planks that are at least a foot long offer a lot of possibility to the furniture maker.

Doors, drawers on smaller items, etc. And from what I've seen with high end furniture makers, they will pay for quality and unique patterns in their boards.

5quarter

"bang" is right. saw most burls at 4/4 and try to dry them and they will blow themselves apart. Burls are best sliced thin and press dried for veneer or sealed in block form for turning. I wouldn't harvest it until you either have a buyer or know exactly how you're going to process it.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

justallan1

Great topic.
I got some box elder burls and trees earlier this year and slabbed, stickered and weighted them and their now living in the downstairs utility room and another couple stacks out in the barn. I'm checking on them on occasion and their not warping or drying too fast (in my in-experienced opinion), my question is just how much of a must is waxing them or using anchor-seal if I'm letting them dry real real slow?
A lot of these trees went through a forest fire a couple years ago and died or are just surviving with most all of the trunks, burls and above ground roots burnt, but are simply beautiful when sawn. How long can a box elder that is standing dead go before it's junk? Thanks in advance.

Allan

Okrafarmer

Quote from: justallan1 on August 02, 2014, 10:56:27 PM
How long can a box elder that is standing dead go before it's junk?

Not very long. At least, not around here. In your colder and drier climate, I suppose they might last longer. Around here they become worm fodder pretty quickly.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

justallan1

Thank you, I guess I'll start cutting them.

Allan

BCsaw

I have a relative that has a large maple burl that he has been saving. It is 10 YEARS old! He found out that my mill is up and running again and would like me to saw it. No problem.........only I have never done this before.

With it being 10 years old do I still need to worry about it blowing apart after it is sawn?

He is a woodworker so I told him to give me a list of what he wants cut. I was going to seal the sawn surfaces anyway. After that I guess the ball is in his court!
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

qbilder

Quote from: justallan1 on August 02, 2014, 10:56:27 PM
Great topic.
I got some box elder burls and trees earlier this year and slabbed, stickered and weighted them and their now living in the downstairs utility room and another couple stacks out in the barn. I'm checking on them on occasion and their not warping or drying too fast (in my in-experienced opinion), my question is just how much of a must is waxing them or using anchor-seal if I'm letting them dry real real slow?
A lot of these trees went through a forest fire a couple years ago and died or are just surviving with most all of the trunks, burls and above ground roots burnt, but are simply beautiful when sawn. How long can a box elder that is standing dead go before it's junk? Thanks in advance.

Allan

Do you have rocky mountain maples up there? The leaves look very similar to box elder, but the bark is smooth grey. Super hard wood.   
God bless our troops

beenthere

QuoteHe is a woodworker so I told him to give me a list of what he wants cut. I was going to seal the sawn surfaces anyway. After that I guess the ball is in his court!

Start out with the ball in his court, and the burl on your mill is yours to saw as he suggests..

Saw it the way he suggests that you saw it, and suggest to him that he might want to seal the end grain surfaces. Just keep the ball always in his court. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

Beenthere is right. Make sure he knows that all you can do is mill it. It may already be fragile or rotten inside, and there's nothing you can do about that. But you won't know until you cut into it.

justallan1

Qbilder, these trees have rough bark and the helicopter seed pods that come on boxelder  :D.
Plus I'm told over and they are. After haying season is over I'll get some pictures up. Possibly we can do some business.

qbilder

Quote from: justallan1 on August 04, 2014, 11:22:47 PM
Qbilder, these trees have rough bark and the helicopter seed pods that come on boxelder  :D.
Plus I'm told over and they are. After haying season is over I'll get some pictures up. Possibly we can do some business.

You'd know right away if it were the rocky mt. maple because it would be incredibly heavy, not to mention would make any chainsaw grunt. You go to cut into what you think is a small tree but your saw tells you otherwise  :D What you have is most likely box elder. I'd certainly be interested in big burls, especially if they are solid. If you can get some pics I'd love to take a gander! And have fun with the hay. I know all to well how busy that'll keep you.
God bless our troops

justallan1

There are a couple pictures of one that I cut awhile back in my pictures.

Allan

qbilder

If it looks like that and has some size, then you certainly have my attention! 
God bless our troops

justallan1

Here's one of the burnt ones I hauled home awhile back. For whatever reason the color is staying in them great. I need to clean the barn so all of the ones I have now will get pressure washed and sawn in the near future.

Here's one of the ones from the new spot that I've found on the ranch. The trunk is probably 14", so I'd guess the burl would be 36". I want this one mainly for sawing some big cookies for tables, but there are quite a few completely burly trunks, logs and bunches of smaller burls.

What brand of wax does a guy get to seal these with? I'm sure hoping you tell me there is a spray on type available. If I'm going to make any money on these I want to be doing it right.
Also, what would be the most common thickness for slabs and what's the size I would want to saw for bowl blanks?
Thanks for your time.

Allan

qbilder

I use anchorseal. You can buy it by the gallon jug at Woodcraft, or by the 55-gal drum. I brush it on with a cheap paint brush. I'm not sure about bowl blanks & stuff. I can only comment on my own work, which is pool cues. I like the slabs to be 2" thick and at least 15" long, preferably larger. I cut them into 1.5"x 1.5"x12"+ squares. I could certainly get you connected with some folks who do other turning & such. Would also broaden your customer base.     
God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!