iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing question

Started by furltech, August 12, 2014, 06:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furltech

maybe a quick question. not sure did some looking on the forum and googling .i went to woodmizer bought some new blades .put one on and cut my first log .cut slab .then cut first board and it was that crooked wavy and thick at one end that you might as well class it as a slab. was wondering if i might have tried to saw too fast and caused this .there is a chance i was too eager with the new blade  8)

drobertson

Not sure what mill you have or the horse power,  Too fast through the log will give wavy cuts for sure, but so will many other issues.  Such as drive belt tensing, band tension, and in general, sawmill alignment.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

I just bought a box of 10 WM Silvertip blades, I tried 2 different ones and neither would cut straight .  I'm taking them back  and getting them replaced with Simonds, this must be a bad batch as I've used WM Silvertip in the past and they cut good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dboyt

In answer to your question, yes, pushing a new blade too hard can cause a wavy cut.  Manual or power feed?  As Drobertson says, there are a lot of issues that could be involved.  It could also be the log.  It is harder to cut hickory straight, and large knots in any log can be challenging.  First thing I'd do is check the tension, tracking & blade guides.  Then try a couple of different blades, including one from a different batch, if possible.  More info on the mill would be helpful.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

furltech

thanks guys all things i will look into .i found an old timer today who is going to tutor me some when he has a chance .so surely that has to help some .between him and you guys i hope i can saw enough straight stuff to build my daughter a play fort i promised before she is going to college.

drobertson

Building ruff is just ruff, ;D  but can be done, all that is needed is to know the lines, outside surfaces to be in line, and all inside finish sides should be in line.  Lots of finagling evolved, but very doable for an outside play structure, no need to waste too much.  This said, any mill should saw within reason if set up properly.  the reaction of sawn lumber is a little tricky,  It can some what be figured out, but in the end, there are no real guarantees.  Just saw a few extra boards and it will be covered. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

furltech

I hear ya .but i had to pick a project that was doable to get some skill under my belt before i tried to market anything .when the time comes i am basically making stickers with it so it should not be to bad .I learned a lot last night by going up and watching another fellow use his and having him show me some stuff , all ready see a bunch of stuff not set on the mill right and that i am doing wrong .but i like it so i am sure in time me and the mill will work out some sort of agreement .

Thank You Sponsors!