iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 240 Hydraulic pump replacement

Started by KWood255, August 18, 2014, 10:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWood255

I noticed the hydraulics were lazy on my new Timberjack 240.  It has an add-on clam/bill attachment on the factory blade, which would not lift at 12' maturepoplar log. My old 215 would lift so much the rear tires came off the ground. Never should have sold it but thats a different story........

I removed the hydraulic pump and tore it down. I found some deep scoring inside the pump, as well as a lot if wear on the brass bushings. I have ordered a new pump to install.

My question is once the new pump is installed, is there anything required before start up, such as priming the pump etc to remove air?  I do not want to cause any additional problems with the new pump. I will replace all hydraulic oil and the the filter before running the pump.

Thanks for any input.

BargeMonkey

Small pump ran direct off your 353-453 ? I would change the filter in the tank, and make sure the breather is not plugged. Install the pump and hook up the the suction, wouldnt hurt to pour some fresh oil into the pump before start up. I did the pump in my 230 on a monday, lost the engine on wednesday. Got real familiar with her quick. I would avoid super cheap oil, the reservoir on that machine is only 8-9 gallons.

Gary_C

All that and crank the engine for a little time without starting to make sure the pump and relief valve is full before you actually start the engine.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

KWood255

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to getting her going.

KWood255

And yes, the pump is shaft driven off the rear of the 4-53.

Thank You Sponsors!