iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

using the winch log turner

Started by postville, August 18, 2011, 07:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postville

On my mill the arm for the cable log turner seems to be too high when retracted. It will catch on a knot when hand turning. It is just barely below the bunks. I put a rubber tarp strap on it to hold it farther out and down. This works well but I have to adjust it for the log diameter so it will hit the right spot to turn and not lift the log.
Any suggestions? I did not see any way to adjust the height, it is held against stops by the springs. Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

GeneH

Hey Bob. Are you using a LT40 as was in your profile? I looked at mine and the turner is about 2 inches below the bunks. I have had mine stay up at times. It was usually due to sawdust and bark buildup, a stuck roller or lack of grease and oiling in the joints. Mine also falls into place right near the cable rollers, out of the way. Is yours unfolding all the way in the down position?

postville

I cleaned up and greased everything. Main spring returns that arm back to its stop, secondary springs folds the dog back all the way. The whole unit returns down when you let the winch pawl. I would say it is less than an inch below the bunks. I'll get some photos posted soon.

Road Runner

I checked mine today and the turner is an inch or more below the bunk.  A short bungee would take it down another 3-4 inches, but I haven't had any problems with it catching.  One solution may be to trim all limbs or knots all the way to the log. I've had logs brought to me with 3-6 inch stubs and this is a problem.  They can catch the blade guide arm or if one is on a bunk it will keep the log from laying flat on the bunks.  I cut a load of cedar for a friend and I spent as much time cutting limbs as I did sawing.  After explaining and showing him the problem he understood and the next load was limbed properly.  Hope this helps.   
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

postville

The bungy cord works and is how I have dealt with this. I have to adjust how far out it holds the arm as on a small log it will come up too far out and slip. Works good on a big log as it lifts and turns, without the cord it hits on the bottom center of the log and lifts it off the bunks before starting to turn. It would help if I had some sawing with me to position it as it comes up.
I have only 300 hours of sawing in and might just be at the figuring out stage. Thanks for the tips.

Chuck White

Hello Bob

In an earlier post, MagicMan (I'm pretty sure) had a small diameter rope tied to his turning claw and from the operators position, he could pull on the rope to hold the claw from hooking into the log until the claw was further up on the side of the log.  I could see where this could be very handy.

Possibly could be used to pull the claw further below the bunks when you're finished with it.

MM might have pics of his rope hook-up in his gallery!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!