iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood consumption of downdraft owb compared to standard owb

Started by pulse, January 13, 2011, 12:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pulse

Hi all! I am new to this forum but not to burning wood for heat. A little history, I am in my 4th season with my hawkin owb. I am quite happy with it, I heat my 2800 sq ft house, dhw, and garage in Michigan with between 8-10 cord. Before we put the addition on the house I heated with a wood add on in the basement for 10 years. It worked ok but the house went threw some drastic temp swings in 24 hours if I was not here to tend it.

Having used both there is no doubt the owb is far easier to live with. I am lucky in that I have an easy access to wood, and I have room for a couple of years worth ahead. With all that said these new gassers have caught my interest. When I bought my hawkin I think CB had just released the e2300.

My question is, what is the real world wood savings of these newer gassers? 40% is the published "marketing" number but is this really what it is? I am not planning on upgrading anytime soon, but I am curious what people who have them are using.

Dean186

Pulse,

This is sure to be an interesting post.  There are few individuals who owned a standard and switched to downdraft that I know of on this forum.  Hopefully they will speak up and let us know some numbers.  My dealer switched a few out here in this state and he said they reported significant reductions in wood consumption, but this is just hear say.

In my case, I went from burning a couple cords inside the house and using a lot of propane to burning exclusively outside in my OWF and using no propane.

Looking forward to some comments.    Dean

doctorb

Pulse-

Welcome to the FF.  Great question.  As each of us, regardless of the type of outdoor burner we have, has unique features of our heating situations, it is difficult to compare wood consumption form one member to another.  Your question takes the individuality of the heating requirements out of the picture, and focuses on comparing 2 different types of burners heating the same place.  I hope you get a bunch of responses.  I started with the e-2300, so I can't answer your question.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

darnet

Same here, started with a e-2300 so nothing to compare to but great question looking forward to some replies.

Al_Smith

I can't comment on a down draft outside burner but can on a standard  wood stove .In the late 70s' I altered the design somewhat of  Vermont downdrafter and built a stove .Unfortunately in my ignorance I felt bigger was better and as a result of my enthusiasm my ex wife would often open the windows and doors to regulate the heat . :D

That aside it was very efficiant and really was more eco friendly because most of the volatable gasses and tars in the wood were consumed by the fire .Interest in these things have seemed to lie in the shadows since about early 80's and has just recently resurfaced .A new old idea I guess .

treetech

I don't hava an OWB but I do hava a downdraft indoor wood boiler. I switched over from a regular boiler and the differance is amazing. A lot of the heat in my old furnace went up the stack. The new furnace has the stove pipe sealed with high temp silicone (max temp +- 550 deg) that has not yet been exceeded. The stainless steel pipe has not changed color. It burns very clean and long. I use the same amount of wood but I now burn earlier and later in the season. It was expensive but I feel it was worth it.

pulse

OK, I am not getting the feedback I had hoped for so lets try something different. Please tell me your type owb, what you are heating with it, the size, type (tight/drafty) of house, the temp you keep your house, garage..ect, your climate that you live, typical heating season duration, and how much wood you use in a season.

doctorb

Pulse - good question, but members won't see it unless you start a different thread with a different title.  Post it up and you'll get ansers on that for sure.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

Quote from: pulse on January 21, 2011, 10:06:54 AM
OK, I am not getting the feedback I had hoped for so lets try something different. Please tell me your type owb, what you are heating with it, the size, type (tight/drafty) of house, the temp you keep your house, garage..ect, your climate that you live, typical heating season duration, and how much wood you use in a season.

Good luck.
There are far too many variables involved here to gather any meaningful information. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!