iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New saw not getting oil?

Started by JuniperBoss, January 06, 2013, 07:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniperBoss

Yes this is true. I am using winter oil.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

joe_indi

The saw seems to be pumping oil, but not enough because 3/5 tank of oil when the fuel tank is dry is a lot left over.
You have the adjuster at maximum.
Before you do anything else, I would try out what    Peter Drouin has suggested i.e. cutting the chain oil with some diesel.
Try a tankful of that to see if the problem is because of a probable high oil viscosity.
No harm in trying it.
But I wouldnt be surprised if there is something creating a partial blockage in the oil pickup line.It has happened occasionally, usually a bit of fluff.
Rotating the clutch drum in reverse like I had described in an earlier post would help clear the pickup line.

Joe

drobertson

if you are not getting oil on a wide open no cut situation, I would take it back. there are times where some parts are just defective. It can happen.  Don't stress, just find out.   Let them check it, or give you another one.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JuniperBoss

I sure am about ready to take it back. I'm sure it's just a bit of junk from the factory plugging me up in there or something. Still, it's their problem... or should be.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

JohnG28

I agree, it should and likely will be their problem.  I'm quite sure anything wrong will be covered under warranty. Nothing to lose by trying.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

JuniperBoss

JohnG28

Let us know what they say about it!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

JuniperBoss

Here's the latest update, boys. The saw was taken to the shop. Today the guy said that the oil-ways were clogged. I didn't get what clogged them up, but he unplugged the clogs and said that now it was oiling efficiently. He said that it wasn't covered under warranty (which it actually is, I read the conditions of the warranty), but he also said that it wasn't any charge, probably because it was an easy fix and he wanted to be nice on a new Stihl owner. Tomorrow it will be picked up and taken home. Hopefully it all works like it should and it will cut as good/better than the old Ms 290! Thank you all very much for the suggestions and I'll let you know if it cuts up a storm!

JuniperBoss

The saw works well. It is getting oil now. Whew, another problem solved. What's next?

cuterz

Good to hear all is well happy cutting.

clww

I had near the same problem a few years ago when I got my new MS290. It cut fine for a bit, then the bar was getting hot, no oil, Smoking! I cleaned the oil holes, checked the pump, gears, teeth, etc. I ended up putting another bar on it, and everything has been fine ever since. I ran that bar on another saw with no problems either. I can't explain it......
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

CTYank

Some Stihl saw owners report in other forums that they routinely need to drill out, and lengthen, the oil passages in their bars, to get proper flow. Honest.

Really makes me wonder where their engineers are.  :o
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

beenthere

You best wonder where the EPA regs are coming from that the engineers have to design around.
That is what is limiting the oil usage.

My MS361 gets plenty of oil on the 20" bar.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Migal

Quote from: beenthere on January 22, 2013, 01:52:40 AM
You best wonder where the EPA regs are coming from that the engineers have to design around.
That is what is limiting the oil usage.

My MS361 gets plenty of oil on the 20" bar.

After my experience {already Posted} My MS361 gets plenty of oil on the 20" bar as well. I did not drill or any modification's I leave it at max the EPA allows though Bar Oil is cheap compared to smoking hot bar's and chains.  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

JuniperBoss

Why do they want us to use less oil? That tiny amount that comes out of the bar can't possibly hurt the environment. Is it that they think it hurts the environment for companies to produce the oil?

Thank You Sponsors!