iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cost of plywood jumped up

Started by Brad_bb, August 06, 2020, 09:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Same here, tore up the tracks and let the right of ways go, not bright.

mike_belben

NC is one of the boomingest states in the SE and my time hauling all over there correlated a good chunk of it to rail lines still in service.  
Praise The Lord

Southside

"Rails to Trails" was the name of the program.  Have to admit though - sure made for some awesome sleddin.  My Mach-1 would just tear it up at O° on the RR bed trails.   8)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

If you ever get up this way go into Damascus and hit one of the bike rental shops, they'll take you to the top of Whitetop and you can coast for about 25 miles back to town through beautiful scenery. There are several around here and they are nice trails but it sure wasn't smart to give up those transportation corridors.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, the Plaster Rock sawmill, which has been there for over 100 years has a rail nearby, but that is a different line and not run up river to the mill. The old line was referred affectionately by my grandmother as the 'old Tobique' it went right into the mill yard up along the Tobique River. Never crossed the river between there and Perth. This other line crosses the river before it gets to the mill on the edge of the village of Plaster Rock. Most what I see on that rail is western oil and automobiles and maybe metal scrap cars. Irvings line in the south and southwest carries lumber south and west. They supply Home Depot up here. Have always said, train should be long haul and truck short hauls. And now a lot of them trucks are going to have no drivers. Can't possibly be a money savings unless the government promised big buck handouts. Truckers now sure ain't living in luxury. Most I've seen, and some I know, by 65 can barely walk and bad hearts. :D Hard on the body guys.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

Truckin sucks.  Unless its your truck, your MC and the rates are up and youve got your money right, kinda like logging! 

Driving for a mega is just the most miserable lonely life you can imagine.  14hr days, gone for months on end and not making any money. Its a trap.  
Praise The Lord

DR Buck

Went out to Lowes today because I need a couple sheets of the primed white cabinet grade (blond wood) and a sheet of cabinet grade birch.    The primed stuff is now $49.95 per sheet, up from about $35 the last time I bought it.       

There was no birch in stock.   In fact, nothing other than the primed that is close to cabinet grade.   Because I needed it now I ended up with a sheet of maple, and it's crap as far as quality.  One side is OK, but not sanded very smooth.  The other side is close to being sheathing grade, maybe not even that good.    For my use the back side will not be visible so I can live with it.   Its just the $62 per sheet price that is a real killer.   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tacotodd

Ouch!  That's not funny at all.
Trying harder everyday.

WDH

Lowe's has the worst plywood of anywhere that I have seen.  I won't buy it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

snowstorm

Quote from: mike_belben on January 01, 2021, 10:04:24 AM
Truckin sucks.  Unless its your truck, your MC and the rates are up and youve got your money right, kinda like logging!

Driving for a mega is just the most miserable lonely life you can imagine.  14hr days, gone for months on end and not making any money. Its a trap.  
i know of a couple that make a 100 k driving someone else truck. but they have been at it a long time know what to take and what to turn down and the best way to get there. there are a lot in the 65 to 75 range. any time you want to go back to work i can get you on based out of sc

PoginyHill

Quote from: WDH on January 13, 2021, 09:51:38 PM
Lowe's has the worst plywood of anywhere that I have seen.  I won't buy it.  

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 13, 2021, 05:03:05 PM

Went out to Lowes today because I need a couple sheets of the primed white cabinet grade (blond wood) and a sheet of cabinet grade birch.    The primed stuff is now $49.95 per sheet, up from about $35 the last time I bought it.      

There was no birch in stock.   In fact, nothing other than the primed that is close to cabinet grade.   Because I needed it now I ended up with a sheet of maple, and it's crap as far as quality.  One side is OK, but not sanded very smooth.  The other side is close to being sheathing grade, maybe not even that good.    For my use the back side will not be visible so I can live with it.   Its just the $62 per sheet price that is a real killer.  

Home Depot carries hardwood plywood made in the US and Canada. I think Lowes still sells imported stuff.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

DR Buck

Quote from: WDH on January 13, 2021, 09:51:38 PM
Lowe's has the worst plywood of anywhere that I have seen.  I won't buy it.
Lowes is 3 miles from me.   Closest Home Depot is 60 miles.    It's not always convenient to make the road trip. 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Don P

If you have a small building supply or cabinet shop nearby I can have them order from Diamond Hill and get it dropped on their route.

btulloh

Have you tried Anderson Lumber in Amelia?  Still a ways from you, but they are a good company.  Don't know about their plywood supply.

Also check out Wurth Wood Group in Richmond.  (Formerly known as Plywood and Plastics.)  Even though that's a long ways, they carry real cabinet ply.  They carry stuff like baltic birch, appleply, and some sort of import baltic birch, plus pre-finished birch or maple ply and lots of good hardware.  They are a good source for all cabinet materials.  They do have trucks that are on regular delivery routes and if one of  those comes down as far as Keysville you can have stuff delivered for a small charge.  Don't know about that - you'll have to check.  But they are a good resource, even though not quite in your neighborhood.

I refuse to buy cabinet plywood from Lowes or HD.  The stuff they carry is just not right, but we do what we must do get to the finish line.  Good stuff or bad stuff, seems like everything is affected by the big price spike, so there's no getting around that.

Plywood / Lumber - Plywood - Page 1 - Wurth Wood Group

Catalogs - Page 1 - Wurth Wood Group

HM126

WDH

I have found the plywood at HD to be much better than Lowes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Lowes sucks but its over an hour to HD. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!