iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small scale logging with a logging arch

Started by JimMartin9999, April 01, 2010, 04:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimMartin9999

Just a question about the meaning of  "a run flat design."
They were talking about small scale logging and the use of a Future logging logging arch.  They wrote:
The disadvantages are that the wheel axles bend easily when bumped into trees
and the link on the hoist system easily wears and breaks but it is simple enough to fix.
The real problems were the weak tires which were always going flat. It is suggested that
better tires and a run-flat design similar to the ATV should be used on the arch.

What do they mean by run flat design similar aato the ATV?
Jim

TimRB

"Run flat" tires are designed such that they can be used for a limited distance and speed even if they are flat.  I guess people don't even know how to put on their spare any more. 

Tim

Maine372

ive wondered why skidders dont just use steel wheels. no flats ever and imagine how well the brush would be chopped up! steel wheels would work on an arch too. most of the old ones around here use old truck axles that still have locking rings on the tires.

Ironwood

I use "run flat" Goodyears on my Gator. I need to replace the fronts, $175 each :o. It is piece of mind not to FULLY loaded w/ 1000 lbs of Ironwood on the rack and get a flat a mile in the woods. I will also recommend you just use a good skidloader tire on the arch, they are puncture resistant enough UNLESS someone has left a TON of angled sapling stumps sticking up.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

JimMartin9999

Oops.  Here we go again. What are "locking rings"?
Jim

4genlgr

a "locking ring" is part of a tire rim usually found on old trucks. it makes up the bead area on one side of the rim, the ring split so it can twist when taken off. when removing the tire the ring is pryed lose, the tire is flipped and slid off the rim, on assembly there is a small lip on the main rim that the ring slips under and "locks" there to form the bead part of the rim. If not properly seated the the ring can flyoff with deadly force when the tire is changed  these were very common untill about 5 years ago

these rims for trucks are being phased out because of  the danger they are still use on big loader tires

when building an arch in the past a lot of folks would start with an axle with tires from an old truck

RSteiner

There are some tire dealers that can fill a tire with a substance, I think some kind of silicone rubber, that will still allow it to act like an air filled tire withot the worry of going flat.  Steel wheels are hard an don't give when a bump or obstruction comes along.  They would also tend to tear the ground up more than a rubber tire on corners or soft going.

It may be that the wheel axles on some of the newer equipment needs to be more robust if they are bending and the tire type used upgraded.  Years ago most people built their arches out of recycle truck parts which were pretty beefy.  I used the front spindles from an early 1980's American Motors sedan which was a heavy car by todays standards.  In 20+ years I have had no problems.

Randy
Randy

jeffreythree

Quote from: RSteiner on April 02, 2010, 06:22:49 AM
There are some tire dealers that can fill a tire with a substance, I think some kind of silicone rubber, that will still allow it to act like an air filled tire withot the worry of going flat.

There are places that fill tractor tires with urethane foam.  You can fill pretty much any heavy duty tire with it, but not light duty automotive type tires.  You also cannot change the tire after filling I heard, need a new wheel.  There is also those slime products that fill holes as they are made.  I use that on a few small things.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

captain_crunch

Most of the old rubber tired arches I remember had a rub bar outside of tire to shear it around stumps and trees
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Ironwood

That "rub bar" is a great idea, and yes I have seen them as well.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!