iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

waves   oak like pine

Started by woodmills1, November 15, 2004, 07:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

finnaly ran into an oak that waved like the pine we complain about so often.  Now i must admit I was milkin a black oak tryin to make red ( black oak under bark will gum up blades worse than pine ever thought of) but the problem today was the dry knots from dead branches in what should have been a 12 foot log iIstreched to 16.  When the band hit those outside dry limbs it dove.  You think pine waves, you shoulda seen. So I am about to say the waves come when band goes from any width to another one then hits dry ols brancy knots.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

FeltzE

I ran into a really hard oak the other day too, I cut several 30" red oak logs then run into a piece that was beautifully uniform, not a knott for 12 feet, 30" at the butt dove in and the saw started bucking and growling, not cutting straight. I reset the sharpener to a lower hook angle and tried again with better results but still a lot of chatter. Kept the blades sharp and finished the log in 2 1/4 inch slabs. But it was slow and tedious with saw dust that was more like saw powder. UGH! Sawed more like hickory had the rays of oak and a red oak color, didn't seem like a white oak.

What kind of oak might this be?
Eric

customsawyer

woodmills1 you will run into some waves if you are going through knots where it changes the amount of wood the blade is going through especially if the wood has been drying for awhile best thing that I have done for that is to put lots of water on the blade to compensate for the dryness and slow way down on the first three slabs until you are running all the same width.
FeltzE I am sorry I don't have any know anything to tell you that might be of help maybe one of the other members has seen a log like that. One question was there alot of stress in the log?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

woodmills1

was a brand new fresh log.  Black oak has a funny yellow like under bark that will gum blades worse than pine.  On the log I am talking about the less than fresh blade was following grain lines from a branch in one place and running into width changes and dry knots in another.  Try to start from the small end to reduce grain follow.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

FeltzE

custom,

No stress, the cut didn't open or close beyond the normal amounts. The lumber was very heavy also ... of course I was cutting monster 2 1/4 slabs sliding them to the edger for 8 inch rips,

Eric

Thank You Sponsors!