iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker Shock

Started by Striker, February 01, 2006, 08:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker

The flywheel on our MS270 came loose today and destroyed the built in key. I called the dealer to price a new flywheel. Sweet Mother of Pearl!!!!!!!!!!!!! $207 for a new flywheel. You could have knocked me over with a feather.  I told the guy that I needed to think about it.

Jeff

StihlDoc

Ask the dealer to contact the STIHL distribution center's service dept. and ask if a policy adjustment could be considered.

Ianab

Or pay $100 for a siezed / dead one and raid it for parts  :o

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Reddog

Not familar with that saw, but take it to a machine shop and have'em broach a keyway in it. Then just use a key.

sawguy21

Quote from: Striker on February 01, 2006, 08:17:09 PM
The flywheel on our MS270 came loose today and destroyed the built in key. I called the dealer to price a new flywheel. Sweet Mother of Pearl!!!!!!!!!!!!! $207 for a new flywheel. You could have knocked me over with a feather.  I told the guy that I needed to think about it.

Jeff

Yup, gotta love that flywheel design. I have seen a few failures on MS170's too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

The Stihl company makes a very good product.They are real proud of their repair parts,good grief.They also are real good about designing things that have no interchangability with others.I would,if it were me,haunt e-bay until a clunker comes up just so to spiteful to the almighty orange and white.
Oh,by the way,I own 4 Stihls,all good saws.
I might also add a little fact that all the key does is hold the flywheel in position.The taper on the shaft,I assume it has one,holds the thing in place.

stihltech

Take a little valve grinding compund and rough up the flywheel and crank tapers. Clean them both up,line the slot and key up, and tighten. Won't move unless the nut loosens.An unathorized factory fix.

Striker

One of the guys at work has a neighbor that works for a stihl dealer. The neighbor said he could get us one for $75. I said tell him to get it in.I don't know if one or the other didn't understand what was wanted or not. Seems like a huge difference in price.

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!