iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying to get my little shop organized

Started by SawyerBrown, April 05, 2014, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Been trying to figure out how to get the "basement" level of my roughly 20'x28' shop organized, think I've made some progress over the past month or so.  Nothing compared to the really nice commercial shops I've seen on here, but this is just where I go to make a few things and pass the time ...

Here's the west wall 

I picked up the white lower cabinets on the right from our church when they remodeled and had a sale to dispose of the old.  They were in the kitchen and are really well built.  I built the upper cabinets.

Lots of room for more "stuff" yet.  I like having room for "stuff" in the doors.

Couple nice things here.  The table saw has the full extensions, but the band saw (on wheels) sits conveniently in the  gap when I don't need all that capabilty.  And, the counter top on the cabinets from the church are about 1/4" lower than the table saw, making it a great off-feed surface.

My 8" joiner sits on the south wall, under the stairs, and between horizontal piles of lumber and vertical piles of lumber, and under short piles of lumber that I can't bear to throw away.  Gotta make something to make room!

Even though the piles are significant, I can still work a pretty long piece.

Most of the north wall with my "new" lathe and stand.  Again, built the cabinets ...

Love having some stuff in the doors where it's easy to see and get to.

I picked up the lathe for $50.  Motor didn't work and it was pretty rusty.  A little WD-40, some elbow grease, a little paint, disassemble and clean motor, a new belt and wiring, and it works like a charm.  And it fits conveniently in this little nook.

I have my scroll saw and drill press on the east wall on my bench.  I picked up the scroll saw AND the drill press for $50 from a guy who assumed they were junk.  Both are old Craftsman from when they really made good stuff.

And then in the middle of the room is my 4x8 table which serves so many purposes.  The cabinets underneath are from the church and make great use of otherwise wasted space.

My "screaming [what do you guys call it?]" router table and dovetail jig.  I love dovetail joints and the Leigh jig makes it relatively easy.

OK, that's the downstairs.  Sorry for the long post but it was fun to document.

And here's the biggest project to ever come out of my shop:  My daughter's wedding present ... 

The inlay is maple (Jordan and Katelyn) from a tree of her grandmother's ...

Thanks for letting me share my little piece of heaven ...

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

r.man

That's a nice shop and not too little either. I think everything on wheels is a great idea when space is an issue and space is always an issue no matter how big the place is. I like the wedding present as well, especially that you made it for them. Thanks for sharing, it is always nice to see how other people are doing things.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

WDH

Compared to mine, your shop is SUPER ORGANIZED  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CHARLIE

You've done a fine job organizing your shop.  Be sure to have a lot of dust control in the basement. You'll have fun in there!  8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

hardtailjohn

Very nice!!  I think the layout and stuff is great...seems to flow together pretty well. I love the "stuff in the doors" of the cabinets!! I agree on dust control....best money I've ever spent for my shop!
That desk is great..especially the "family ties" that it has... well done!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

thecfarm

Nice looking workshop. Nice looking desk too.Will it fit through the door?  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Busy Beaver Lumber

wish my shop was that organized and clean
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Peter Drouin

Nice shop. But I would have painted first, Then put up things on the walls instead of panting around it all. A white pant will make it more bright. I painted my ceiling and it helped a lot.  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

21incher

Nice shop. How do you keep it so clean. Mine is in the basement also with a concrete floor and I found that rubber mats on the floor in the work areas makes it more comfortable on my feet.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

DDDfarmer

Nice shop.  If mine was ever that clean I was robbed!
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

SawyerBrown

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions.  One thing about guys ... whatever space they have, they tend to fill it up with "toys" ...

I have a simple dust collection system already (you can just see it in the ceiling in the "north wall" pic) using an old furnace blower and two washable filters, which suck the air up in the center of the room and blow it down the east and west walls; plus a small Jet dust collector to hook to each machine.  I just bought a new (used) Powermatic canister-style dust collector, I'd like to mount it permanently somewhere, but I can't figure out where that will be.  I'm actually thinking about putting it upstairs, and run the ducting through the floor and around the ceiling in this level.  I can actually loosely close off the stairs going upstairs, and I'm thinking this will also keep the lower level in "suction" and positive pressure upstairs, where I do staining/finishing etc.  I'd build a little "closet" around it in one corner ...

And, it's never this clean.  Except now.  That's why I wanted to take some pix.  ;D   I'm hoping it will be easier to keep clean with everything in cabinets rather than laying around or on open shelves.

thecfarm, no the desk will not go through the door!  That's why it's in 3 pieces ...  I did see that problem coming!  Funny, though, the kids "office" is probably no bigger than 2x the area of the desk!

Oh, and I built the 28x48 shed with the help of my stepson (now deceased), except for the excavation and concrete work.  We even made a jig and made the trusses.  This "back" end has my woodworking shop (2 levels); the front end is a garage, where the pickup had to move out when I got the mill, 'cause I sure ain't leaving that outside!! 
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!