iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

c5500 4x4 for a log truck?

Started by Rod, August 17, 2005, 07:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_c

Around here they seem to be getting wise to people going the farm plate route. So they have been know to follow to make sure they really are using for that purpose.

ironmule2004

I carry full commercial insurance w/ 1mil liability on the truck and  1mil commercial liability on the trailer.  The insurance company knows the size of the truck by the vin number.  I do not run farm tags but I will in the future.  In Arkansas the don't seem to bother farm tagged vehicles.  As a matter of fact, farm machinery in Arkansas always has the right-of-way.  This may not apply to vehicles but they do show favoritism none the less.  I was going to get a CDL but the tester informed me that I woudn't need to get any if I ran farm tags.  I'll  just wait and see.  I never got anywhere, nor did anyone else I know by "playing it safe" all the time! 

Rod

David_c ,I'd just pull over if I saw the DOT following me for a real long time.Thats what hey do around here.I you are on privit property they cant do nothing

David_c

Rod my luck they would pull over and wait me out.

Rod

What I don't get is what will the DOT say if the did follow me into the log yard or were ever?

tnlogger

rod if they prove your hauling commercial with out a cdl they can give you a ticket for driving with out one as far as i know. down here they dont say much to us but then we are in the sticks too.
gene

Rod

tnlogger,your right,but the DOT  doesn't come around here much,the town doesn't even have money to hire a cop,so if theres a problem some were the Mayor does the police work. :D

farmerdoug

Here in Michigan I see weighmasters ocassionally on both the interstate and state highways.  I have seen them pull over and inspect pickup trucks hauling gooseneck trailers with heavy loads.  I watch as one was getting several tickets and he was very unhappy.  I beleive that a trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs loaded will need at least a trailer endorsement CDL.  The state is also requiring all vechiles that carry or are rated over 10,000 lbs for hauling to have a USDOT number.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Ron Scott

We have a "tough-one" on the woodhaulers in this area. The county and side roads are watched also.
~Ron

farmerdoug

I heard today that our Governor is going to try and raise revenue for the state by increasing the police ticket quotas.  No new taxes, aay. ::) >:(

So I guess the truckers are in for even more now along with the rest of us.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

wwsjr

MS DOT within the past 6-8 months has decided to enforce what they say has been on the books for years with regard to trucks and gooseneck trailers. A F250, single wheel GVW is 10K, F350 dually is 12,500. If you are driving a P/U and gooseneck or any other trailer that combined GVW with P/U is over 26,001, based on the total shown on data plates, you have to have a CDL.

I have a F350 dually (12,500 GVW) with B-26K tag ($540.00 per yr,) and 24 ft gooseneck, (16,000 GVW), I had to get Class A CDL with airbrake exception to be legal. I had been pulling the trailer for 5 years without CDLand had never been stopped. CDL required both a written and drivers test and about $100.00 total. DOT was writing tickets to people with P/U and empty Goosnecks based on the data plates of each vehicle. I know of one person that was fined $250.00 with an empty trailer.

Farm tags are only legal if you are hauling wood from your personal farm property for sale to mills. I have a good friend who has a big International 18-wheeler logtruck (80K gross Farm Tag) who hauls wood from his property with regular license legally. I think enforcement was a way to make more money for the state, NO NEW TAXES, and justify their jobs.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

farmerdoug

wwsjr,  I guess your governor has been talking to our governor.  I do not know what party your governor is but ours in a demoncrat, but in politics we get screwed by everyone usually. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!