iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forest operations in the 1940's

Started by gump, January 12, 2020, 11:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gump

O B Davis Mill - YouTube
I love these old logging videos. This was taken in Northern New Brunswick and although is in french, he is mainly for the most part, recognizing the individuals in the footage. I like this one because it follows the timber from harvesting, transportation and milling. Although a lot more wood continued down river the the pulp mill in Saint John.
Safety officer would have a field day on this operation. It amazes me how rugged these individuals were and how hard the work was then!! Enjoy.

Bruno of NH

I liked this very much 
My great grandfather came from Canada to Wilder Vt.
He owned his own logging company and built homes.
Then opened a mill work shop in Lebanon NH, then a lumber yard and hardware store.
Dulac's Building and Hardware 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Kindlinmaker

Thanks for sharing. My father didn't talk much about all of his experiences, like most of the folks in that generation, but he did share that his favorite job was winter logging. They would set-up a camp in early winter and stay till spring.  Lived in cabin tents and skidded with a team all winter. Hauled everything to the mills in the Spring.  His double bit was one of his most guarded tools. I still have it in a special spot in my shop.

....and I complain when a chainsaw won't start or my 4 wheel drive starts spinning.....Can't even walk in the shadow of those men. 
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

Pine Ridge

Hard working tough men back in those days !!!!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!