iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone else having fun working this winter?

Started by letsgetitracing, February 01, 2008, 09:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Quote from: beenthere on December 13, 2008, 04:34:15 PM
Stephen1
My fault for bringing this old post up to the top...note letsgetitracing's post date.... ;D ;D
gotcha  :)
i guess I should have checked the date on the 1st post, but we been having winter here for a month all ready, which we haven't in a long time. around Toronto I call this the banana belt, winter does not really show till Jan, and is gone by the end of Feb, with a few kicks here and there .
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Sprucegum

Winter got the best o' me yesterday  :(  >:(
The thermometer on the outhouse at the woodlot only goes to -30 so I don't know how cold it was  :o My camp is down in the river valley, its always 5 or 10 degrees colder than up top.

My goal was to snowplow the road with the old D4, get the camp accessable for a Christmas visit when all my children are home, and bring home a load of firewood.

I have a small generator that I plug the cat into but it would barely turn when I pulled on the rope. So I wrestled it into the truck cab to warm up for 20 minutes, tossed a bit of wood in the back while I waited.
Got it started and plugged in the cat. Tried to start the pup motor on the cat - dead battery and its a 6 volt, everything else I have is 12 volt  :-\  As I get colder I get stupider so I boosted off the truck anyway (not directly to the battery) and whirled it over for a QUICK start.Let it run for 20 minutes while I tossed more wood in the truck.

The pup motor and the inline heater both only warm up the antifreeze, the oil was still way too stiff to turn over the main. With one thing and another I had been out in the cold for 3 hours by this time so I threw up my hands and went home - with a full load of wood  ::)

aksawyer

When we went to work yesterday it was 20 below at 6:30 A.M.

Thank You Sponsors!