iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

540e starting issue

Started by MichaelLatorra, February 16, 2021, 01:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelLatorra

I have a 1992 540E that I'm having trouble starting.   Fuel is not gelled, starter just rebuilt, batteries good, Fuses good, park brake switch on shifter is good.  The machine fires but something tells it to shut down immediately.  Does anyone know if something in the monitor module tells this machine to shut down if a permissive isn't met?  Looking for a starting point.....Thanks Mike   

mike_belben

Got an oil pressure switch in the head maybe?
Praise The Lord

Maine logger88

Check power to the pump first to make sure your not loosing power somewhere after start up if that's all good take the return line off the pump if it runs with the return line off it's got a restriction in the return line. They won't run with the return line plugged
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

4-276T or 6059T engine ? Like mainelogger said check the return, ive never had an E but had a 544G of the same vintage. 12v to the pump ? Where i would start. 

MichaelLatorra

4045t engine.   Thanks for all the help, ill see what happens.

teakwood

My excavator did this and it was a faulty fuel cut off solenoid, ( they're a safety feature so the engine can be shut down at any circumstance) but i don't know if your engine has this feature 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Has it been parked quite a while?  Those stanadyne rotary pumps sieze up the pumping element inside frequently from sitting.  

pull the feed line into the injection pump and crank to prove the transfer and filtration.  Verify 12v to the shutoff and an audible click.  Now pull a discharge line off the pump and crank.  If no output, pull the pump and send it out.  I think the timing cover has to come off to free the pump shaft from the gear.  
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

If by fires you mean it hits on one two holes, i would crack all the injection line ferrules and try to bleed, verify each is squirting.  

Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on February 18, 2021, 04:58:59 AM
Has it been parked quite a while?  Those stanadyne rotary pumps sieze up the pumping element inside frequently from sitting.  

pull the feed line into the injection pump and crank to prove the transfer and filtration.  Verify 12v to the shutoff and an audible click.  Now pull a discharge line off the pump and crank.  If no output, pull the pump and send it out.  I think the timing cover has to come off to free the pump shaft from the gear.  
And you want to be SMOOTH when you pull that gear 😆 And the best part is the 200 timing tool youve got to have to remount the pump without guess work, even the little Allen key you get says Stanadyne... like its make of gold. Not a job I advice a backyard mechanic to try. 

mike_belben

When i am king, i will decree that all manufacturers must design their junk for the backyard mechanic or face relentless tax audits.

;D
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Mike I would rather be elbow deep in a 16-645 EMD than work on a small 4 stroke 😆 I think this guys issues could be ruled out pretty quickly, a non electronic 4045 is almost detroit simple. 

Thank You Sponsors!